Return line clamps loose...??

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last summer I installed a new injector return line kit...new braided hoses, clamps, o rings and caps..etc along with new glow plugs.

I rarely drive my truck in the winter. I have had it out 3 times since October so the starting issue I have been seeing hasn't been a big deal. Long story short, ( well probably long ) it is taking a horrible amount of cranking to get this old ****** started when cold. Plugging it in seems to help but that just doesn't make any sense right now. When warm it fires instantly.

What I am experiencing: turn on ignition....hit glow plug switch....count to 7-8...start cranking and release glow plugs....continue cranking, cycling plugs on and off till 15 count....stop. Look at exhaust pipe. little or NO SMOKE. WHich makes me think NO FUEL.

Wait....try again with above sequence...may or may not work. At this point I am starting to see just a touch of smoke at the pipe. If still not started , repeat with foot TOO THE FLOOR and it will fire. At this point it starts with a good blast of smoke.....

So tonight I finally started snooping. Checked the plugs...all appeared good. They are getting voltage it appears. I pulled the air cleaner and inspected the return lines and caps....no leaks anywhere. I started fiddling with the return lines and clamps. Almost EVERY FREAKING CLAMP IS LOOSE. I don't mean loose...I mean LOOSE enough that I can slide them down the entire length of the hoses. Once moved, you can see where they were once tight against the hose. Did the hose shrink? I don't think the clamp Gremlins came along and stretched all the clamps.

Opinions?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you bought a sub standard return line set... Where did you buy it from? Maybe others will chime in if they have the same kit.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cheap hose shrinks with heat and then cracks at the ends.Get a new kit and start over, or at least some good quality hose ,and regular parts store fuel line doesnt work.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, regular parts store hose worked just fine for me, tis been an year since I did the job, and since then the return lines have been disconnected a few times for retightening injectors, and still no leaks or even cracks. Hit or miss type of deal, I guess.