Replacing FSS

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Can the fuel shut-off solenoid be replaced by itself? I seem to remember that it can, but I'm not certain...I think I need to replace mine. The solenoid's sticking ON; the engine keeps running for a few seconds after I turn off the key...and, once, the engine just kept running and I had to give the IP a few light love taps with a BFH to get the solenoid to un-stick and shut the engine down. I double-checked; things are happy electrically...

If the FSS can be replaced without replacing the IP, where does one get it?

Thank you!

jrisingmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how economical it'll be but it can be done.

My FSS failed when I miswired the IP. I had to call about five to ten places to see if they serviced International IPs since some only worked on Cummins or other motors. Ended up getting recommended to a diesel fuel service repair shop where I finally bought my new IP.

I asked them how much they would charge to rebuild my old pump and they said $365 with core. I asked how much a new one cost and they said $365 with core. Before I replaced the IP I asked them how much it would cost just to test it and it came to about $140 and then the cost of the pump if it needed to be replaced. This was around Atlanta, not sure how California will be....

I had to buy a new pump since the FSS simply wasn't working and no fuel was getting from the IP to the injectors. I'm not sure what to recommend for your situation but there's a few numbers to throw at ya.

Last edited:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Yep, I replaced my FSS in my old pump. All I did was exchange the lid of another pump that had a working FSS, but a leaking seal. If it is solonid in the pump that is sticking then that would fix it. If it's something internal to the linkage that actuly turns off the fuel that won't fix it. It is worth a try if you have a spare pump around.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No luck with having a spare pump to pull parts off of...and I was hoping that a fresh tank of fuel and a double-dose of additive would make things better (I think I got some bad fuel in the forward tank), but doesn't look like it so far. I just put about 300 miles on the truck with fresh fuel (drove home from my dad's; just walked in the door), and it still took a couple of seconds to shut down after I turned the key off (but it DID eventually shut down on its own). Actually, so far, I've only needed to tap on the IP once to get the solenoid to unstick; every other time, the solenoid eventually unsticks on its own.

BTW, this is with about 23K miles on this pump...so I would love to not need to change this pump out, particularly since everything else seems to be happy...but, if that's the only viable option...oh KEN... :D :peelout ;burnout