replacing front crankshaft seal

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went from weeping to blowing oil everywhere in a day.

Understand that the harmonic balancer needs to be pulled off, then there is a special tool that will extract the seal? Anyone know of a write up or thread on how to do this. Guess I just need to know what puller will work for the harmonic balancer and what special tool is needed to remove/install the seal.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this one Ren, the seal comes out as apart of the timing cover so you can use a 3.25" spacer to drive the seal out, or the special tool pn. is T80T-4000-W. The installation tool is pn. T83T-6700-A. Ill put together some pics for a tech article.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure it’s the seal and not leaking around the bolt in the balancer. That bolt/washer gets a big dab of RTV as it goes into the oil galley. If the balancer has a groove in it, you may need to speedi sleeve it. I’ve got PN’s for the correct sleeve somewhere.

smithman

Reaction score
I agree, check that it's not coming from the bolt area first.
I attached a pic from the factory manual.
There is a tool but they are very expensive if you can even find one on eBay.
I made my own installer tool using the ford tool as a guide that attaches into the same 3 weld nuts on the front cover. You want to bottom out the seal even with the front cover lip.

Sleeve your dampener with a redi sleeve or buy a new one with fresh surface.

When you put the dampener back on its best to buy a 5/8 threaded stud, put it all the way into the crank, then use a nut to draw the dampener in. Then install the crank bolt. Don't use just the bolt since its not long enough and will strip something.

You must be registered for see images attach