Removing Driveshaft

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need to remove the tail shaft from my transfer case to install the new driven gear I have for my VSS, but in order to do so, I need to take the drive shaft out of the transfer case yoke. Other than removing the C-Clips, how in the world do I lower that driveshaft? Thanks in advance for the help! BTW...It's a 1991 F-350 7.3l IDI 4x4 E4OD...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
remove the u bolts at the rear, unbolt the carrier bearing if u have one and pull the shaft out of the slip yolk on the tcase. no need to remove the c clips.
some tranny fluid will come out so have a pan ready.

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here's the deal...the guy who owned the truck before me replaced the u-bolt strap bolts with Allen Heads and then decided that it would make sense to strip them out...I have tried to delicately make do, but they aren't budging and I already slipped once on one of the heads.

Since getting to the bolts with a drill to easy out them would be next to impossible with the drive shaft in the way, what other ways could I get to my tail shaft housing to replace the driven gear so my truck will at least be drive-able? I will take care of the Strap Bolts down the road when hopefully I have a little more time...

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely not Torx...and a 6mm, and 1/4" are just a hair too big, but a 5mm is way to small. 7/32" was the closest I could find, and like I said, just too much play.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the allen bolts that are stripped out have enough of a head to get a set of Vice-Grips on them?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My 92 is a torx as well pretty sure t27 Had to use a long one to get it in there. You may have to take a torx and beat it in there and if it won't hold weld the sucker to it to get it out.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut them with a cut off wheel then just replace them and u joint both are cheap

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hammer and chisel.put the chiselon an angleagainst the side of it and give it a few whacks and it should loosen upand come out

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The chiesel idea is a good one but make sure the chiesel is sharp go it cuts in and turns the bolt. I hate fixing some guys mess like this... I know how to fix my own mess's but others... Nope... Plenty of "F" bombs get dropped all over the place..... Nappa sells a replacement u-joint kit with all the spaecial hardened bolts and brackets. The bolts are a 5/16 hex and you need a 12 point socket to use them... They are the same bolt that holds the injection pump to the gear... Nice....:sly

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to weld a socket into the hole, but my welder decided to act up and I couldn't get a good arc. So, I took it out with a grinder and everything went as expected after that. Now I'm just gunna try to grind a flat surface to the studs that are still sticking into the yoke and try to get a Vice Grip to hold on well enough to spin out the rest of the bolt.

Onto other problems. I got the tail shaft housing off and went to pull the Driven Gear off and the spline rod and bearing started to pull out. How do I remove the Driven Gear, and do I have to remove that whole output shaft?

Thanks again for all the help...you guys are the only reason this truck is still on the road!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online