Relay warmth after parkihg light mod

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new headlight assemblies buttoned down and the parking light relay mod done tonight. I was wondering... is it normal for the relay to be warm or semi-hot (not too hot--can hold it tight, comfortably) when in use?

I only have the stock parking lights, clearance lights, and 2 additional small bulbs installed on the parking light circuit. Hope this thing won't overheat a-la Headlight Switch when I add my trailer...

Also... how do I adjust headlight position? It is SO NICE to be able to see... just need to adjust the aim of the lights a little bit.

Thank you,

Mike

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I would think so, most of mine are normaly warm. Remember there is a coil inside there that is making the relay opperate. So I would guess at it making some heat. As long as your load does not go over what the relay is built for I would not get to worried. My no-name one heats up more then the bosh ones that I have.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool... I hope this thing makes the headlight circuit last longer. I have not done the headlight mod... not sure I want to cut on the truck anymore (don't have time for that right now anyway.)

If I recall, the old pigtail was burned the most where the parking light wiring was located... headlights shouldn't be drawing too much juice. I don't run brights continuously... although I *am* (and have been for years) running Silver Stars...

Mike

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not want to cut into the head lite wiring, get the wiring/relay kit from summit racing. It is just a plug in harness that is allready wired. If I remember the kit was about the same price as buying relays etc.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deanj said:
If you do not want to cut into the head lite wiring, get the wiring/relay kit from summit racing. It is just a plug in harness that is allready wired. If I remember the kit was about the same price as buying relays etc.

Okay... thank you. That's not a bad fix.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
What, exactly, is this "head-light mod"??

The parking light relay and the headlight relay mods take the load off of our under-engineered headlight switch to prevent major conflagration in the cab of our trucks due to meltdown of the headlight switch/pigtail caused by too many amps building up heat in the wires.

Basically, some idiot who works for Ford's engineering department felt it made more sense to use small gauge wire to handle the electrical load of a 1 ton truck and whatever lights on the trailer it was hauling, and to put this electrical load on a headlight switch not designed for that kind of electrical load.

Stupid.

It amazes me. Did Ford think folks were just buying these trucks to look pretty? Seems to me that they would have thought about lots of trailer lights being routed through the switch and its wires...

Mike

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Did Ford think folks were just buying these trucks to look pretty? Seems to me that they would have thought about lots of trailer lights being routed through the switch and its wires...

Mike

I think you are giving Ford too much credit! :rotflmao

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to think... I knew about amperes and wire size limits when I was 10 years old, building radios from electronic kit parts... That was back in elementary school.

Did the engineers at Ford just not complete Kindergarten?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I must have "modded" my headlight switch about 20 years ago, after it caught fire and melted going down the interstate one night.

There ain't no troublesome relays in my system, just big switches and big wire.

Nothing is on the same circuit.

Everything is individually switched.

Like this guy says:

http://www.cummins-conversion.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=87

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
I guess I must have "modded" my headlight switch about 20 years ago, after it caught fire and melted going down the interstate one night.

There ain't no troublesome relays in my system, just big switches and big wire.

Nothing is on the same circuit.

Everything is individually switched.

Like this guy says:

http://www.cummins-conversion.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=87

Hey, I know about that website! Great place!! LOL LOL

Bullhauler has lots of great ideas. I'm inclined to follow some of them at some point... be it on this truck or my next '91 (you know, the one I want as a supplement to this one!!)

Mike