Refreshing 7.3idi non turbo block with factory turbo

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got gaskets in for my truck a complete set. So i can find the problem of a weird knock and its leaking oil. I plan at the minimum replacing oil pump and water pump with freeze plugs. If nothing else is wrong internally. My question is what all is a must to replace.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Actually, the stock oil pumps are better than the aftermarket ones that you can buy. If there's not a lot of wear in yours, I'd still run it. I guess nothing's a MUST to replace. It all depends on how far you want to go. Except maybe for that oil pan gasket. It should never be used except to fill the landfill.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, oil pumps almost never go bad on these. High volume, wide tolerance design it looks like. All cast iron and steel..
Low oil pressure is always the regulator in the oil cooler sticking open.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i dont have low oil pressure just few second delay on cold start up but ill see what else she might need when tearing her apart. It just started a knock after i put the turbo on trying to figure out if i can roll bearing inti her or need machine work done.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The oil pressure sender, from the factory is at the back, on the top of the engine. That's the farthest point away from the oil pump pick up tube, so it will take a little bit to get enough oil up there to get a reading.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i did put a oil sending unit aftermarket still did the same but i was pushing no less that 40 ladt time i remember.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's typical. It all drains down over night(remember, big huge holes in the system - all the piston jets), and has to pump oil back up.
That being said, it's not a problem because engine oil is very sticky and will stay in a film on all parts, which protects them until oil pressure comes up.
This oil film can stay in place for months or even years looking at the last IDI I pulled apart.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot I have 14psi @ idle and 38 going down the road. I would like to see 45ish but 38 seems to work and it's been like that for over 60k miles.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some people lsay if it aint pushing 80 something wrong but i go by the book of min 10 psi at idle and 10 psi add for every 1000 rpms.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80??? What OEM runs 80? I drive 5 different class B trucks for a living and they all limit the PSI to ~50 hot under load. 60psi cold under load.
These trucks are a 2005 DT466, two Mercedes diesels, and two modern Cummins with VGT's from 2016 and 2017. This is just to say there is a lot of variation, they aren't all the same manufacturer. We've had 3 other trucks too, same story on oil pressure.

My IDI is over 200K(at least, and maybe 300k). I get 42psi hot under minimal load and she idles at about 20psi. I have my gauge plugged into the main galley in the block, that seems to show better pressures than those taking it off the stock location N/A or turbo.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80??? What OEM runs 80? I drive 5 different class B trucks for a living and they all limit the PSI to ~50 hot under load. 60psi cold under load.
These trucks are a 2005 DT466, two Mercedes diesels, and two modern Cummins with VGT's from 2016 and 2017. This is just to say there is a lot of variation, they aren't all the same manufacturer. We've had 3 other trucks too, same story on oil pressure.

My IDI is over 200K(at least, and maybe 300k). I get 42psi hot under minimal load and she idles at about 20psi. I have my gauge plugged into the main galley in the block, that seems to show better pressures than those taking it off the stock location N/A or turbo.

On my previous truck I had the sender in the stock NA location and in the current one I have it in the oil feed line to the turbo. Can you tell me exactly which Galley plug you are using? Thanks!

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh around here is a bunch of drag cars and dirt trackers and they always say it i always tell them good luck on floating them bearings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online