Refresh my memory...

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started the truck today I got BIG TIME white smoke out the tailpipe. I'm talking a vision obscuring puff right at startup, along with that lovely raspy sound that says, "hello there... I'm air in your lines!"

The initial puff was just that... an initial puff. The rasp straightened out immediately as I stomped the pedal--no hint of the truck wanting to stall.

Is this excessive white smoke most likely to be air in the lines? It is getting to the point that I'm getting dirty looks from neighbors and passersby when the truck is started. :backoff

I can't figure out why she throws white smoke some days and doesn't on others--unless this is air leak related. The temperatures have been colder at night here than normal, and those are the mornings when she tends to get air in the lines the most.

Mike

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
what kind of GP system do you have? automatic(factory) or manual like a toggle switch? how old are the GP's, what brand?

im thinkin GP's, doesn't make sense that it would have a worse air leak on cold nights... the white is un burnt fuel cuz the GP's aren't hot enough...how long does it crank before she fires?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
The initial puff was just that... an initial puff. The rasp straightened out immediately as I stomped the pedal--no hint of the truck wanting to stall.

Sounds like there might be a glow plug going south. Got the same issues here on the gold one after a frustrating battle with the GP system. Changed over 2 plugs and now have the same conditions. Gonna change em back over this weekend.

Just my $.02 worth

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm still getting 8-10 seconds on the WTS light. The glow plugs are probably about 2 years old now, and the (automatic/aftermarket) glow plug controller was replaced at the same time. Judging from the duration of the WTS light, ALL glow plugs should be working.

I suspect air in the lines based on this fact, and suspect that the condition is worse on cold nights because perhaps the leak is driven by contracting of the lines (more during cold nights) which somehow opens whatever gap exists a little wider. Also the raspy sound suggests air in the lines.

Or maybe the problem is air + bad glow plug...

I cranked for 3-4 seconds today. I've noticed that she'll always fire right off when warm, like barely bump the starter... When cold, it is usually hit or miss. Today's start took longer than normal, which is probably 2-3 seconds, but the truck hasn't been driven since Monday.

When the GPs were new and there was no air leak, she'd fire off immediately even if she'd been sitting overnight.

Really want to get to the bottom of this... heading across the country with my wife's truck in tow, loaded with lotsa miscellaneous stuff, when we move to South Carolina next April-May.

Mike

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cold air can definitely cause leaks. Let us remember the space shuttle Challenger! O-rings around metal do not a good combination make. The easiest cheapest approach is to R&R all the returns right now. May as well pull the injectors and have them tested while your in there. Usually though, air tends to draw down the fuel supply, resulting in a stall. If your air intrusion were farther upstream, then you shouldn't see a problem until a few minutes later. The fact that it is doing it on start up seems to indicate to me that the IP is actually the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if your cold timing advance is not working.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Mel

When you refer to the cold timing advance, is that the same as the fast idle solenoid? After I had my wife's truck timed back in July or August, I could never get the FIS to kick in. Checked all electical connections, etc...nothing. For about the last week it's been down below freezing at night and it has mysteriously started working again. Gremlins I guess.
On an unrelated note, or, maybe it is related to the origional post, she called me when she got to work this morning and said she had no power and smoke started billowing out from under the hood when she got there. I had the guys she works with troubleshoot it over the phone for me. When she cranked it, fuel started spewing out the fuel filter bleeder...and it wouldn't start (surprise). Easy fix, just pulled the bleeder of my truck and stopped by her work on my way to work and swapped em out. Five minutes and she's back on the road again. Now I'll probably have to go down to my local not-so-helpful and generally unfriendly IH dealership for another one for my truck. Looking forward to that!
What's the chances of that schrader valve allowing air to suck into the system, causing Mike's problem?

Tom

Last edited:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLBREWER said:
Mel
What's the chances of that schrader valve allowing air to suck into the system, causing Mike's problem?

Tom

Probably not too bad... seems I recall a thread awhile back on that very subject.

May as well replace it the lines and the valve... $y$a$y$... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online