Red Fuel

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
didn't shut my 2000 PSD off or give any codes, sounds like someone is pulling your leg, if your dealer refuses to do warranty work because of red fuel smack them and find another that wants your business

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and ordered a gallon of the Cen-pe-co Outlaw...

Besides being a pain to measure it out.. the stuff is pretty nice...

My truck has some sort of a problem right now and I think its something to do with the turbo but even with the problems you can tell a difference...

Way less smoke... normally when I go to pass with the chip on 100hp, I get a pretty good cloud of smoke... nothing to stop traffic but its noticable... and not just a puff but a pretty good constant cloud while my foot is to the floor.... now with this stuff, nothing.... But like the guy said... it does cause more heat... I would say running normally about 100 more... but with my foot in it.. I hit 1250-1300 which I haven't been able to do that easily since I gutted the EBPV....

But then again some of my temp might be because of a leak in the turbo system...

No matter what though it definately smooths the motor and causes less smoke... At just shy of $20 per tank it better do something..

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
At just shy of $20 per tank it better do something..

I will second that!! :eek: thats some pricey stuff.

I dumped two bottles of Delo jector ****** w/cetane boost in mine, the instructions say only one bottle, but I was headed up to Tn from Ga and figured the long interstate run would clean them out good. I got my best millege (at interstate speeds 85-90) that I have ever got 15.5-16.5 and it gave similar results with the higher egt's and a bit less smoke @ 100hp over stock.

I might get a case or two of some type of cetane boost, although it will probably be a cheaper version than outlaw, but I like the results.

Any opinions on some "over the counter" stuff?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I have used the PowerService - Diesel Kleen + Cetane booster and really liked it ...

It was one of the only ones that I have used that I could feel the difference.

I have used the Lucas Injector cleaner but it doesn't say anything about cetane boost.. but I do notice the truck seems smoother with it..

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
Last month I took the CTD off of her steady diet of power service anti-gel and switched to diesel-kleen. I gave it a heavy dose when I did a sevice(changed fuel filter), and went to the recommended dose for a 3 point cetane boost. I've seen a real seat of the pants improvement, as well as 1.5-2 mpg increase(both bythe 'puter and with me cipherin')

ajd257

Reaction score
If I add Diesel Kleen to my truck is it gonna jump the EGTs, I dont have a pyro and dont wanna do anythingto boost those numbers since i cant moniter them. 2 extra miles to a gallon would take a long time to pay for a smoked engine. :puke:

triplethreat

AGENT ORANGE
Reaction score
Here's a question. IF this red dye stays in your truck for so long does that mean that if you have a Farm truck then reregister it for on road use that your going to get fined or have warranty issues because there are traces of dye in your system. :confused:

Dan

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
After getting busted for running red dye in my truck, I can say that I definitely know how the law reads. If your truck is registered, that is to say, you have a license plate on it, it is an ON ROAD vehicle, and subject to fines for running dyed fuel. The only exception, is if you keep accurate records, and pay the road taxes for each gallon of dyed fuel used in the truck. Not worth the hassle to keep records, and any one who says that their plated truck is a farm vehicle, and is not subject to be fined, is full of BS. (I tried that argument, and the revenuers rolled their eyes at me). My hearing with the federal revenuers should come up the end of this year some time, as I've already settled with the state.

BJS

Reaction score
I've heard that it takes about 5 tanks run to very low levels before refilling then it will be below the levels that they fine you for.

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
I'd say that is about right, and then you need to change out the fuel filter as it will still have the dye in it. The revenuer that dipped me, said that he will sometimes pop the hood, and check the fuel filter. He knew all about drag up tanks, and the plumbing involved.

FiredudeL4

Reaction score
I will admitt I have run dyed fuel a time or two, only cause I was out and would not make it to the pumps, did not really notice any difference in the way it ran, and changed the filter once while half way thru a tank and could not tell any difference in it as far a dye/color

stay safe out there
Roy :draw

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
We just had a little 'school' with the DOT inspector, a week ago Tuesday. He says you WILL get fined, and the Feds really bust your cajohnes.

His advice to the farmers, was: If you have to run non-tax fuel, in an emergency, write down the estimated amount you put in. Then go to your fuel supplier, and pay the tax. They will give you a tax receipt, which must be carried in the vehicle.

He also said it was not entirely kosher, to have a big stack of fuel tax receipts in your rig. LOL

Basically, do it if you have to, but be sure you get the taxes paid, before you get caught.

I live exactly in the middle of BFE, and they had a big surprise check, at the sale barn. Caught about 8 people running it. Every one claimed they used it in an 'emergency' :rolleyes: . They all got to sign a Notice to Appear.

I have no idea of the performance benefits. Except making your wallet stay a little thicker, temporarily.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I used the red suff reg 40 cetane and not any difference. However the 50 cetane high sulfur stuff I get down at the local marina makes a BIG diference better power, more milage and the engine runs much smoother.