Red Fuel

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
I know someone that puts red fuel in his truck, with the red fuel it holds 2 more lbs. of boost and gets 1-2 more mpg. But the EGT's are up about 50-100 degrees as compared with when he runs the regular stuff... I know the red stuff is supposed to just have dye in it, but what gives?? It must be some damn good dye, cause it appears to burn better. He has ran more than one tank with various driving conditions and the numbers come back different from #2 everytime.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting results, I have never experienced that before.

MLee

Reaction score
The Red stuff

He'd better not get caught in a road block on the Highway. where they are sampling fuel. If he is legit and uses the truck off road (farm use 98%) and can prove it he 'll be OK. the fine for use on the highway is steep, and red dye does not go a way very quickly from the tank.
just my penny's worth
Marv.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At our shop, they put on road (clear) in one tank, then fill up our off road tank with clear, then add the dye.. I thin that guy is imagining things... I have heard just the opposite... You get more smoke with the red stuff...

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that maybe he is getting some premium off-road diesel...

I used to have a flyer for some premium off-road fuel that was supposed to do all that your freind says he is getting.

http://www.powerservice.com/agripower_cetaneboost.asp

I think this is the stuff... I can't find the flyer I had.. I just remember the name being Agri-diesel.. It was a complete fuel not an additive. but it looks like this stuff may be an additive to fuel suppliers...

Directions :
Add one gallon of Power Service Agri Power +Cetane Boost Premium to each 1,500 gallons of diesel fuel. To ensure thorough mixing, add to tanks prior to filling with diesel fuel.

So this might be it.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Dieselmaster, thats interesting.. it might be what he is getting, I will see if he knows the brand name. That stuff sounds pretty good, might have to do some some experimenting myself, off road of coarse, guess I'll have to cut some hot laps around the hay field LOL errr something like that. Have you tried any additives by this company?

As for road blocks, I have never heard of them checking a pickup in my neck of the woods, only OTR trucks.

He didn't say if it increased or decreased smoke although that would be hard to tell in my truck because it allready pretty much blacks out the road in my rear view :D might have to try a different program to test that. Dyno results would be interesting.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power Service make a ton of different additives, and they are not considered "high end" but they do have some that are available evertywhere... Diesel Kleen would be a better be than the agri blend, since it would add more cetane. Its in the Grey Power service bottle....

The anti gel is in the white...

on edit, if you think about it, how can a fuel with a dye burn better. Your diluting the fuel.... The dye is not flamable... They carry it in the cab of the truck!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerservice is what I typically burn for my cetane booster mostly since it available at Walmart. And last time I was in the service area at my local dealer they were selling it also.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Or it might be this stuff !!...

Normal Cetane rating is 50 :eek:

http://www.bpdirect.com/pdfs/Amoco_Premier_Diesel_HS_Off_Road.pdf

There was another thread in the fuel additive area about Cenpeco... they have an additive that the Pullers use that adds up to 12 cetane points ... Outlaw is what it's called..

It's not street legal because it contains a metallic catalyst...

I spoke with them and the addative is almost like advancing the timing... the metallic catalyst prolongs the burn.. Infact they recommend that if your on the edge with temps that you will want to turn back your timing a little to comensate for extra burn time..

Could you imagine this fuel above with Outlaw in it... your talking a 60-62 cetane number...

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
well I found out the brand is citgo... there is a difference between this stuff and what everybody else sells in town... boost up around 2psi, egt's up around 50-100 deg, couldn't tell any difference in smoke... atleast thats what i experienced in my off road only farm truck ;) but I couldn't get her strung out that good today its raining, it doesn't say anything on the pump about being premium diesel

Just though I would share this info

Will the cetane boost additives create similar results, I don't normally add anything, besides some injector cleaner everytime I change my oil. Who makes the outlaw diesel additive, do you know a website.

Last edited:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
J,

Cetane boosters will normally only boost you up by around 5-6 numbers...

Depending on the fuel your getting a cetane booster may or may not match what your curently getting... most premium diesel fuels are 46-50... 50 is the best that I have found so far.

And when you add a booster it is not a garuanteed 6 numbers ...
Most pumps around here are 40-43 cetane. I would assume that most of the pumps around you are the same.. so adding a cetane booster should put you in the same cetane area as most premium diesel fuels.

http://www.cen-pe-co.com/

They are the ones that make Outlaw... you either have to buy at an event or call them..

The patriot

Reaction score
My truck seemed a little peppier with the red, and some more smoke. Slightly better MPG's. SLIGHTLY!
As to more boost & EGT? I didnt notice.
Of course I dont do this anymore.:moon:
The refineries around me are very old, and I thing theyre still producing the high sulphur fuel.
Eric

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
ISNMU, I don't know about dyed fuel burning better, but the dye concentrate is flammable. I work at a petroleum tank farm and the dye concentrate we use the dye #2 and off road diesel carries the same Hazmat placard(sp) as gasoline (1993). The NFPA diamond lists it as one notch lower than gasoline, flammability-wise, but essentially just as nasty in other respects, with lots on ingredients that end in
-ene. On this thread, is there any truth to the urban, or rather rural legend that engine manufacturers or installing a sensor in fuel systems that sees dye and shuts the motor down, flashing a code to tell the dealer what you did, thus voiding all engine waranties? I have the option to run pemium red in the cummins, but have not for fear of this myth.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
That's news to me. I don't see how they could sense they dye. Secondly, that's not right, becasue what about the farmer who uses the dyed #2 when he's running around his fields; is he no longer allowed to have a modern truck? Something doesn't sound right to me, and if that were the case I'd have the screaming red ass if my new $45k truck shut down becasue of something like that. But who knows?

[><]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel