Recommendations for my WMO filtering centrifuge from the experts.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading, the IP on the MB has issues with vapor locking when using more than 15% RUG.

This blend I just batched is roughly 9%. (5 gallon in 55) but this blend is mostly aw32 hydraulic oil... This is our first time with hyd
oil so we'll see how it goes. This batch pours THIN.. definitely as thin as d2 if not thinner.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason I filter for so long as I really never got a straight answer on how long to filter.

Check with the company your CF was purchased from.
For instance my CF from PA biodiesel is a 55gph, IIRC.
And IIRC every 55 gallon "pass" means the wmo is cleaned down to 1 micron, just an example i need to check the website.
My wmo filtering tank is much smaller, 15 gallons, I let mine run for 45-60 minutes, so I'm guessing it makes 3-4 passes.
Hope this helps.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Check with the company your CF was purchased from.
For instance my CF from PA biodiesel is a 55gph, IIRC.
And IIRC every 55 gallon "pass" means the wmo is cleaned down to 1 micron, just an example i need to check the website.
My wmo filtering tank is much smaller, 15 gallons, I let mine run for 45-60 minutes, so I'm guessing it makes 3-4 passes.
Hope this helps.

If you are filtering with a pressure centrifuge in a single barrel, there is no way to filter the oil 100%-ever. The filter would work on an exponential line where more sludge/debris is pulled at the start and gradually becomes less as time goes on, but will infinitely get closer to the "goal" but will never reach it.

In other words, just because your 55gph fuge is running for an hour and you have 40 gal of oil in a 55 gal drum, does not mean that you have made one complete pass. IIRC, it takes 7-11 passes of the entire volume to consider it as a "complete" pass. Therefore, 40 gallons with a 55gph fuge would take 44 minutes times 7 passes which means a minimum of 5.25 hours (roughly).

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are filtering with a pressure centrifuge in a single barrel, there is no way to filter the oil 100%-ever. The filter would work on an exponential line where more sludge/debris is pulled at the start and gradually becomes less as time goes on, but will infinitely get closer to the "goal" but will never reach it.

In other words, just because your 55gph fuge is running for an hour and you have 40 gal of oil in a 55 gal drum, does not mean that you have made one complete pass. IIRC, it takes 7-11 passes of the entire volume to consider it as a "complete" pass. Therefore, 40 gallons with a 55gph fuge would take 44 minutes times 7 passes which means a minimum of 5.25 hours (roughly).

Hope this helps.

We plumbed the pressure bypass for our centrifuge back to the pump inlet meaning the full volume has to pas through the 'fuge...

Does that make a difference?

I also run mine for a minimum of 20hrs but will be increasing that a good bit.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shadetreemechanic, are you strictly using wvo or have you used wmo also? Obviously the two act very differently. I don't plan on ever using wvo in my operation. Just wondering if the same apply to wmo and wvo. Thanks
I have tried wmo a couple times, no more than 80 gallons or so total. I don't like the way it burns and have my current stock of wmo in the marketplace to give away. Idle was more uneven with wmo and my suspicion is that the additive packages to keep the oil from burning don't aid in clean combustion. I have been doing WVO for over 10 years now and prefer it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point I wanted to make for filtering with a CF, is get a idea of what the CF is "supposedly" cleaning/filter, then adjusting how long or how many "passes" to let it run.
Thats why I said "just a example"
(Most likely I'm not letting mine run long enough, but I'm not ready to let my stuff run while I'm not there, had a garage fire about 17yrs ago, burned up 2 vehicles & the garage, not related to wmo, but thats my point of view)

This process of filtering wmo is by no means a exact process.
If he (giannid) has a CF that does 50 gph, then I'd guess he's gonna let it run longer, to try to do the best possible job.....

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
For all intents and purposes, 20 hours is probably fine. I have had experiences where I've filtered for 24 hrs, cleaned and filtered again only to pull out the same amount of sludge as the first 24hrs.

My point about filtering in the same barrel is that you are continually drawing in a mixture of clean and dirty oil, so it is not as simple as saying xGPH centrifuge for x hours is good. However, a 55gph centrifuge with 40gallons of oil in a 20 hour period of time would be roughly 4 passes of the oil (not volume). 1 pass of the total volume will not filter every drop of oil in the container.

It really boils down to what you feel comfortable with. After all, it is your equipment.

Hope this helps.

giannid

Reaction score
I guess I'm over filtering the crap out of my oil. I have the pa biodiesel 55 gph and my batches usually consist of 35 gallons of wmo, most from diesel trucks, and 11 gallons of off road diesel. I try to heat it and keep the oil between 140 to 180 degrees for the first two days. I then filter it for 2 more days without heat, so a total of 4 days. Seems like the fuge is still pulling crud out after the 4 days as the rotor isn't totally clean. The first day is the worse as I've had the rotor get so caked it stopped spinning. So I clean the rotor twice the first 24 hours and then one time every 24 hours. Also goes through a donaldson 3 micron pre filter before going into the trucks. You guys think I'm over doing it? The cost is in heating the oil as just running the 1/3 horsepower motor doesn't take much power.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be really curious how these oil companies that sell recycled oil, have the cleaning process set up.
I'm sure they use some really nasty chemicals that help make the oil "look" clean or not as black from wmo.
But then take out the particles, with some sort of CF.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I believe they distill the wmo... I'd say that's the only way they could remove 100% of the particulates.