Rebuilt Injector Nozzle Codes

pwrdbyidi

Reaction score
I read in an old post over @ TDS that code BB, B, & D nozzles were interchangeable but I also remember being told not to mix the codes, period.

I just got my Stage 1 nozzles from DPS, and there were 7 code B's and 1 code BB. Am I just creating problems or should I contact DPS? If I can get a hold of anyone.... Hit or miss.

I hope to get my new pump, injectors & ATS Aurora WG turbo in this weekend.

Thanks

IDIeselman

Reaction score
To my knowledge Ken doesn't require a certain code for cores as when he is done working his magic they are a custom HP build and those pesky little letters no longer mean anything.

RedTruck

Reaction score
From an older post at TDS:

AA -....CAV.....- early '83 6.9. 2100 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump needs to be matched to the tip.

A - Stanadyne - Same as above

BB -....CAV.....- Late '83 early '84 6.9. 2100 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump needs to be matched to the tip.

B - Stanadyne - Same as above.

D - Stanadyne - Late '84 through '86 6.9. 1900 lbs crack pressure.
.......................Injector pump doesn't need to be matched.
.......................Costs less than the AA A BB B ... about $32/piece.
.......................Some believe that turning the crack pressure up -
.......................to 2000-2100lbs produces more power. If you -
.......................do this make sure you retime after you're done.

E - Stanadyne - 92.5 to 93.5 7.3.

G - Stanadyne - 93.5 to 94 7.3 IDI Turbo.

Someone else may be able to fill in the holes. I did some checking with my injector pump man on these items. The crack pressures are the values he use at his shop.

As with anything on the internet, use this information at your own risk.

Happy injecting,

Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info.... what's this about the tips need to be matched to the injector pump? The first I have heard of it.... what will happen if you don't? I have 7 "D" code injectors from stanadyne and 1 remanned CAV "BB" injector in my truck, think I am hurting anything or either giving something up? I also agree that the Stage 1s are a custom build item and not to worry about the mixed codes in that case.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I don't know what they do when they match the pump to the tip. I'm assuming they have to adjust volume somehow.

It seems like quite a few folks run A's and B's without matching the pump. I would assume that if the injector is rebuilt it could be rebuilt with any tip, spring, or shims...essentially making the letter code mean nothing.

Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So one wonders in a situation like I was in, I had to buy the injector locally. I had no choice except "possibly" one of the Ford dealers, or an auto parts store. I bought mine from NAPA. In their computer the injector said it would match with any IDI. Knowing that auto parts houses often get it wrong, you wonder if that's true or if its "just good enough," and not "really" right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online