Different idm's throw different codes ?

MrFord

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on a 2001 7.3 thats been sitting, started it up ran but very rough, probably missing on multiple cylinders.

Pulled valve covers and found broken/unplugged connectors. Pulled the harness on the idm and ohm tested which resulted in numbers all over the place. Replaced both inside harness's/valve cover gaskets and retested. Got 3.0 to 3.2 on all 8.

Pulled valve covers and found broken/unplugged connectors. Pulled the harness on the idm and ohm tested which resulted in numbers all over the place. Replaced both inside harness's/valve cover gaskets and retested. Got 3.0 to 3.2 on all 8.

Started it up and it still seems to have a miss on 1 or 2 cylinders at idle, sounds better when I rev it up. When I do a buzz test #4 injector sounds muffled. Buzz test throws codes P1274 Cylinder #4 High to Low side open, P1277 Cylinder #7 High to Low side open, and P1298 Ignition Diagnostic monitor malfunction. I shimmed #4 and retested, #4 still sounds muffled.

Swapped IDM with a rebuilt one that I've been keeping on the shelf as a spare.

When I buzz test with this IDM everything sounds the same but it throws codes P1219 Cylinder Identification stuck low and P1294 High Side open bank 2 (left)

Since I got different codes I tried a 3rd IDM that I removed from a 1999 7.3 that currently runs good. When I Buzz test with the 3rd IDM everything sounds the same but I get codes P1275 Cylinder #5 High to Low side open, P1277 Cylinder #7 High to Low side open and P1293 High side open bank 1 (right)

I don't know what's changing except maybe moving the wire harness a bit to swap IDM's. So I checked all harness's for burnt or rubbed through wires and didn't find any thing wrong.

Has anyone seen this before or have any tips? Thanks in advanced for the help

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the large harness for chaffing where it goes across the drivers side valve cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88