Rebuilt Heads Intake won't line up.

David Downey

Reaction score
I have a 1986 F250 6.9 and I purchased rebuilt heads but when I torque the heads down the intake manifold will not line up with the heads, am I missing something. I bought Felpro gaskets and the heads were rebuilt. They did deck the heads and I was told they took very little off but this is the 2nd set of heads I got from this company I returned the 1st set. If I enlarge the intake manifold bolt holes it would work, anyone else ever had this problem?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If the heads have been decked, have you checked valve protrusion? The intake manifold is small potatoes if the valves and pistons meet.

About the intake: are the holes on the manifold clean? Or have they been mushroomed over and only need to be deburred or chamferred to be used? Do you have another manifold to check for mating holes?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was difficult to get lined up. I needed to install all the bolts a few turns before running any of them down. Only after getting them all installed could I get it to fit. I (could be wrongly) attributed the difficulty due to the fact that I had the intake and heads resurfaced to get surface flat. I think it let the intake sit lower in the valley making it more difficult to line up - but this might all be in my mind. If I had to do over, I wouldn't have resurfaced them.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If the heads have been decked, have you checked valve protrusion? The intake manifold is small potatoes if the valves and pistons meet.
This right here. There was probably too much taken off of the heads and you're going to have valve clearance problems. Definitely check the valve clearances before going any farther.

David Downey

Reaction score

About the intake: are the holes on the manifold clean? Or have they been mushroomed over and only need to be deburred or chamferred to be used? Do you have another manifold to check for mating holes?
Mine was difficult to get lined up. I needed to install all the bolts a few turns before running any of them down. Only after getting them all installed could I get it to fit. I (could be wrongly) attributed the difficulty due to the fact that I had the intake and heads resurfaced to get surface flat. I think it let the intake sit lower in the valley making it more difficult to line up - but this might all be in my mind. If I had to do over, I wouldn't have resurfaced them.

David Downey

Reaction score
I would not have had the heads decked if I knew this would be a problem. The holes are clean.how do I test if the valves will hit the pistons turn over by hand, I have read a post some where that they had to drill the intake to get to line up. I have tried 2 different sets of heads both sets have the same problem not sure of the best course of action?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
That should have been done before mounting the heads. There is a dimension to be checked. If the valves stick out too much, they need to be ground more to adjust. Sounds like you might need a double head gasket now, although I am not sure that is a recommended procedure on diesels.

David Downey

Reaction score
I do not have another manifold to check I have all ready went through 2 head gasket sets and 2 valley pans gaskets I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point. The heads are too close to the block no matter what I do now if I drill the intake I could make it work but I just want it right

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since your heads are bolted up, see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can't turn it completely over two full rotations, then you definitely have a valve hitting a piston which will stop the engine from turning over. One way or another, you'll probably be pulling the heads again, unfortunately. This is probably the most important clearance on these engines.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should have only taken two to three thousands off of the heads to get him to clean up even if they went 10 on each one the intake would still fit, I have had intakes on stock engines where the bolts of cut into it I think it's an intake problem not a blockhead problem

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally where did you purchase your heads from?

David Downey

Reaction score
Cylinder Head International, the heads looks great. I had the same problem with the 1st set I sent them back and now on the second set. Same casting numbers as my old heads the only difference is I have purchased head studs and are using them instead of the head bolts I'm just at a loss. I was assured that the heads are to spec and only minimal amount was removed from each set of heads that I got. If I put the heads on and lay the intake before torquing the head the intake lines up good bit when I torque the heads down and then try to fit the intake it a no go the heads are too close block and the intake will not line up now if drill the holes out slightly in the intake i could get it to work but I would rather not do that. I'm open to suggestions as to how to fix this as I want to wrap up this and move on.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 sets of heads, Im leaning toward intake off a bit. Like I said you would have to cut a LOT off the heads for it to affect this.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was difficult to get lined up. I needed to install all the bolts a few turns before running any of them down. Only after getting them all installed could I get it to fit.

This is how I've installed every intake manifold on every IDI I've had open for whatever reason. Have you tried this technique yet? I would not want to gouge out the bolt holes in the intake.

Heath