rebuilding an early 6.9 questions.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As title states i'm rebuilding a 6.9 and have a few questions after talking to some knowledgeable people on these motors then me. What I have come to find out is, I have the early 6.9 block with the press in piston oiler jets. How does one go about rebuilding this block and what to do about those jets? How do you get them out and then put back in, and aimed right? I know a newer block would be the way to go, but this one is still good. I'm actually the second owner on this truck, and know the guy that had the truck before me used the block heater in the winter time. Theres no crack there now, wouldn't it have cracked out if it was going too?

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Too bad you were not closer as I have the jet install kits.
But if the block is cracked around the block heater, I'd look into finding another motor of it were me.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blocks not cracked at that spot, thats why I figured it was still good to use. The biggest deal is on the jets.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow....;Sweet:thumbsup: I had no idea Ron had the tool for these.. Are these jets still available or not Ron... I recall someone by me that needed them but couldn't find enough....:dunno

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Wow....;Sweet:thumbsup: I had no idea Ron had the tool for these.. Are these jets still available or not Ron... I recall someone by me that needed them but couldn't find enough....:dunno

Yup, my powerstroke buddy passed them along to me still brand new in the box.:sly

I haven't checked for the jets availability since the need hasn't arose for them yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20100812_123527.jpg
    IMG_20100812_123527.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20100812_123602.jpg
    IMG_20100812_123602.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 21

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

That looks like something Jason needs to get ahold of and make copies.... just like the IP wrench.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You are the only one that has one that I know of..... I would suggest the "handoff" be done in person...... I am not sure if it could be replaced if any of the "Big 3 shippers" lost it......

If nothing else, he could get a pattern off it to be able to reproduce....... that is a rare bird you have there, but I am sure you already know that......

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
You are the only one that has one that I know of..... I would suggest the "handoff" be done in person...... I am not sure if it could be replaced if any of the "Big 3 shippers" lost it......

If nothing else, he could get a pattern off it to be able to reproduce....... that is a rare bird you have there, but I am sure you already know that......

My thought exactly Scott. I do share a great deal of trust with the members here and knowing of its rarity I'd hate to see it get lost in transit like Gary's timing meter conundrum.:dunno

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Ron do you have the tool numbers for those tools id like to check at work and see if we have them there.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Hey Ron do you have the tool numbers for those tools id like to check at work and see if we have them there.

Chase, the part numbers and technical names are listed on the papers in the 2 photos I posted.;Sweet

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your block has a serial number below 59208, then yes, you have a "A" block. You may have to call an IH or Ford dealer and see what you can get for the piston cooling jets.

Did you find those Mahle pistons?

Heath

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only numbers I see on my block are at the front drivers side and they go "67020B5-22-97SES". and on finding those pistons Heath, I'm calling a couple places around here, been busy and haven't had much time to call.

Edit. Found a company that could get them, that's only a hour away from where I live. So I'll probably end up getting them here pretty soon when i sell something, ha!

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on Hesutton's info, and the fact that you have a B in the serial number I'm going to guess you have an upgraded "B" block and so all the later 6.9 stuff such as bolt in cooling jets and slightly higher compression ratio.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The serial number is located on the top, front of the block, just behind and near the IP gear housing and looks like this:
You must be registered for see images

This stuff is per IH:
The first three positions are the engine displacement(6.9L). The fourth digit D, indicates a naturally aspirated/non-turbocharged engine. The fifth and sixth digits M2, indicate an engine built for truck use. The seventh digit U, indicates that the engine was built in the U.S.A. The rest of the digits are the specific engine serial number.

The 7.3L engine serial numbers begin with 500001. On IH factory rebuilds("ReNEWed" engines), the serial numbers are in the same location as new OEM engines, but the fourth digit is a F, which indicates a naturally aspirated/non-turbocharged engine.

Heath