Rear wheel seal

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Does anyone have the torque #'s for the 4 pin nut to hold the seal and the torque for the axle bolts??

I remember for other years is like 85 then 110 then back 1/4 turn and 15tq again, now the axle bolts I don't know at all.

Thank You.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the torque #'s for the 4 pin nut to hold the seal and the torque for the axle bolts??

I remember for other years is like 85 then 110 then back 1/4 turn and 15tq again, now the axle bolts I don't know at all.

Thank You.
ez-
I've read in quite a few manuals 65ft lbs and back off four clicks.
I do that plus spin the tire to give the bearing a moment to "fall into place" or settle. then I check it again. Irregardless, no matter what you torque the pin nut to, as soon as you back it off four clicks or 1/4 turn, the torque becomes irrelevant.
As far as the axle shaft bolts, as tight as I can get them without breaking. This is from years of seeing egged out bolt holes in the axle shaft and smashed threads on the bolts.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thank You, I was replacing the rws on one side and figured I would do both, now I had to buy napa seals since the ford where order only and I need the truck so against My will I had to pass on the motorcraft and use some napa seals hope they hold half the time the original seals did :rolleyes: .

I also have this noise I can hear after I pull the trailer (17-20k pounds combined weight) and some times while pulling I think it comes from the front wheels or one of them. When I did the front bearings I read somewhere to tight the bearing nut hand tight but I thought about it and changed My mind I think this is where this whistle comes from (is not the brakes) so I give the nut a little snug with the breaker bar not much but enough I think. Is there a toque # for this too?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the torque #'s for the 4 pin nut to hold the seal ??

You all are describing something that, either I can't see, or am unfamiliar with.:dunno

What kind of rear-end; and, what kind of seal requires a four-pin nut to hold the seal in place??

I thought the seal got driven in from the back, and all the nut did was adjust the bearings.

Please explain, as this is like nothing I have ever dealt with before.

Thanks.

86 1 tonhauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and u need this socket to tighten it and heres another pic with the seals and axle nut and other crap

Attachments

• axle nut.jpg
    axle nut.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 7
  • axle nut in place.jpg
    axle nut in place.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
  • seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
  • seal and bearings.jpg
    seal and bearings.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I only replaced the seals, one was bad but I figured I would do both while I was at it. The bearings where fine (200k) so I put them back ($120 a piece).

How much Do You guys tighten the nut on the front wheels (2x4)?

Thank You.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you caught me while I had chiltons open 55-65 while rotating wheel back off 5 "clicks" make sure you hear 5 clicks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online