Rear tranny seal leaks again

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I had the rear seal on my transmission replaced 10,000 miles ago. Today I noticed it is dripping quite steady again. The shop that did the work has a " probably not under warranty attitude " Should I live with the leak or what do you fellas think :dunno Thanks to all who reply.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I know nothing about the E4OD but I would guess the output bearing might be going causing the seal to wear fast?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You will be able to move the shaft around. up, down, side to side ect. When the bushing gets real bad it will give you a nasty vibration. Along with eating seals.:eek:

sassyrel

Reaction score
anddddd, if that things is eating seals, and the output bushing is bad--replace the ujoints--or check them well!!! as those can put a slight bind to the driveshaft--and wear bushings--if the joints are going bad--

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the yoke has any wear on it it wont seal , I had the same problem on my t-case and after a new yoke ,no more leaks.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like the bushing is worn. Easy to fix also at least I think so. Pull driveshaft, Support trans, remove crossmember, knock seal out of tailhousing, pull tailhousing, support tailhousing so it sits square. knock out old bushing with an old screw driver or chisel, coat new bushing with red locktite, position bushing in tailhousing and using the back of a socket with an extension through it from the inside or a bearing driver installed backwards on the driver handle drive the bushing in till it sits flush in the tailhousing, install new seal in tailhousing, reinstall tailhousing, reinstall crossmember, reinstall driveshaft, replace any trans fluid lost, test drive and check for leaks. Takes longer to explain than to actually do the job.