Rear Tank Fuel Leak....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I've had a leak since two of Calvins BBQ... I really noticied it on my trip home so... I dropped the tank. I figured it was my work fixing the vents but nope... Seems the fuel suction line solder joint broke loose in the sender top. I tipped the tank back with around 2 gallons of diesel still in it and found the leak. Only way I can figure this broke loose is when I originally dropped the tank I didn't cut loose the supply and return line from the frame cross member. I did cut them loose before I installed the tanks. That step sure made for more room to reach in and connect the lines. No other ways to reach them but to pull the bed... Nope... Just not gonna do that... So I got out my oxy actylelne tanks and the smallest brazing head and soldered it back. Sure doesn't take much heat either. Checked and found no leaks so I covered the top side with copper plus rtv. Just waiting for it to cure and back goes the tank. Nothing inside the tank either. Fuel looks good... Not cloudy or milky... Just the new diesel green... Which I don't really like. I will drain it before I try to install the tank. That fluid smoshing around throws off the balance big time for my weak arms. I hate working overhead... My little arms get so tired.....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a new one to me, I'll be dropping my rear tank soon for repositioning the straps and I'll keep in mind to disconnect the lines off the frame first, thanks for the tip!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The trv was just insurance. It didn't cost anything but sure is nice to know it can't leak either way. My soldering was tight and the rtv insurs nothing will leak.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You should have hollered, Stuffing a tank would be more fun than running around here :rotflmao
You really need to invest in a tranny jack , or at least one of those tranny adapter heads for a regular floor jack. Those things are great for dropping fuel tanks . I've dropped them by slinging straps under and lowering them down before,but even that gets tedious .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7