Rear Pinion oil seal replacement

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So My rear end is leaking pretty bad out of the Pinion ( I have been told this is the correct name for where the driveshaft enters the rear diff)

Can anybody tell me how difficult or a pain in the ass it is to get this replaced? When I left work today there was a small puddle maybe 6 inches in diameter under my diff after sitting for 5 hours. I shall see how bad it is in the morning, I dont wanna drive my truck if possible with my diff being low on fluid.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the seal, disconnect rear ujoint, take off yoke(I think 1.25" socket) use a flat screw driver or whatever to pry it out. Take new seal lightly tap it in slightly and then use a big socket that is close to it's diameter and tap it in the rest of the way with a mallet. Also, mark the drive shaft and yoke.
Did mine the other day...no leaks!! Oh and top up the fluid or change it if it's time
(Did I miss anything anyone?)

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty easy actually, My friend said that he had to remove a bearing on his Dana 80 in his first gen? How much did the seal run you? I cant see it being an expensive part. I will also most likely take off the diff cover and put a new gasket on as it has a slight intermittent leak

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i did mine last night pretty much exactly like Rollin Coal said except the nut on mine was 1 5/16. The seal ran me 3.99 at oreilly's.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So My rear end is leaking pretty bad out of the Pinion ( I have been told this is the correct name for where the driveshaft enters the rear diff)

Can anybody tell me how difficult or a pain in the ass it is to get this replaced? When I left work today there was a small puddle maybe 6 inches in diameter under my diff after sitting for 5 hours. I shall see how bad it is in the morning, I dont wanna drive my truck if possible with my diff being low on fluid.

Before you replace any seals, be sure and fix why they started leaking in the first place.

Find the axle vent, remove it, and clean it out.

The axle vent is usually found left of the differential, about midway between the differential and spindle, with the brake-line splitter also being held by it.

Completely remove the vent hose and either replace it or clean it thoroughly.

Most importantly, remove and clean the vent itself, which is threaded into the axle housing.

If the vent hasn't been removed/cleaned in the last twenty years, it will be either rotted off and hanging by the brake-lines, or you will break it off when you attempt to remove it, in which case you will have to make a new vent somewhere else.

If you do not first clean the axle vent, replacing leaking seals will be a waste of time and seals.

Often, cleaning the vent will dry up the leaking seals without having to replace them. ;Sweet

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal ran me 3.99 at oreilly's.

DAMN $18 in Canada. It's ridiculous the price difference between USA and Canada parts stores. Like my tranny filter and gasket kit here is $58 in Michigan I got it for $17

Find the axle vent, remove it, and clean it out.

The axle vent is usually found left of the differential, about midway between the differential and spindle, with the brake-line splitter also being held by it.

WOOOPSSS hahah totally forgot about this. More than likely the main reason why the seal went. With the diff cover off blow some air through it with a compressor. You'll know when it's clear. Do the same or replace the vent hose.

Be sure and not leave your key in there. ;Really

HAHAHAHAHAH I hate you. That seriously made my morning haha

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahahha DIFFerence hahaha get it??

Anyways, I might have been wrong in my size. Not sure if there is a DIFFerence in size from the sterling to the D60/70?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt think there was a difference, I have replaced this seal on a F-450, and replaced the whole pinion twice on my truck. Everyone I have tried was 1 1/8"

But ya the Danas could be different

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, sounds pretty straight forward, What do I torque the yolk too after I replace the seal?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep tightening the nut and it will eventually stop, I just put as much force as I can while laying down. Seems to work for me.... Also you can put some locktite on the threads

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I do not have torque figures in my head but was glad to see it addressed. A quick call to Randy's ring & pinion will get you the numbers you need.

Longesst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated above, I cleaned my vent out and ran new hose and that alone fixed my leak. Since you have to clean it anyways you may try that first, you may get lucky.