1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REAR END QUESTION

Discussion in 'F450/F550 & 4500/5500' started by MIDNIGHT RIDER, Feb 12, 2006.

1. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

Ca unfortunately. the only ford diesel I have in TX currently is my '86 F250 4X4.

2. sle2115

sle2115 NRA LIFE MEMBER Staff Member

3. Duke

Duke Full Access Member

I think it's set up to lock the rear brakes, but here's the link to Mico
    http://www.mico.com/prodguide.php3

4. 94f450sd

94f450sd Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. sign_man

sign_man Registered User

Since the truck never moves when the parking brake is applied, how do the shoes wear out? The biggest worry with the parking brake is the teaspoon sized capacity. One small oil leak can ruin it in a big hurry.

As far as swapping out fronts and rears from an F-Superduty to an F-350 cab & chassis, I have to ask, why not just buy an F-Superduty and change to your bed? If I were you, I'd actually ride in a 133" F-Superduty before I lusted after one for tire wear purposes. The jarring and bouncing and drinks spilled all over the cab make me wish I had a smooth riding F-350. Most at this age have death wobble issues too.

6. towcat

I'm no stranger to all the above issues-cuss-cuss-cuss
    All of it is solvable though. The only thing that isn't solvable is the registration fees for the f450:puke::puke:In kali, the reg fees for a f350 is roughly 275. the reg fees for the f450 is 532. don't even talk about the insurance either.....

7. djnsj

djnsj Registered User

if I'm not mistaken, the factory w.b. options were 137" and 161" and I think a longer one. A factory bed will leave a gap on the short w.b. I thot I'd also heard that the distance between the inside of the inner duals is narrower than a regular bed's wheel wells. I've been trying to figure out how to make my f-superduty axles fit my f-350 cc also. I'd thot of lengthing the f-sd frame to the 168"wb and then swapping over the cab and bed, but I would still have the narrower rear end issue. I talked to one shop about widening the rr end so that the spring pad spacing would match the "pickup frame" spring spacing. He quoted me $2500 to widen and to install an ARB. One trailer building place quoted $3500-$5000 to lengthen frame, if I brought in only the rolling chassis, no body. Seems faster/easier/cheaper route to widen the axle, getting the ARB in the process, which isn't available for the Ford D-80, but is for the Dodge D-80. And no frame strength issues either, after cutting and lengthening.

8. towcat

the orig SD/f450 had a dual width just slightly wider than the F350 commercial chassis and slightly narrower than the pickup chassis. The visual under the pickup bed was not objectionable at all and the inner dual will clear the bed cutouts. rather than deal with lengthing the axle, I'd look into reshaping the bed wheel well. much simpler and cheaper. There's quite a few converted f450's running around here and none had the bed modified to clear the wheels. the 4inch gap was often used to put in a headache rack. Not objectionable looking at all.
    What is your goal? if it is to put in a SC where the RC used to go, get a truck where the rear spec is 84"ca. There's many old towtrucks running around with that spec chassis. I've done a SC drop onto a f450 frame, and the only major mod was needed was to cut and raise the rear floor section to clear the frame hump.

9. Cat_Rebel

Cat_Rebel Does not compute

As far as I know the older F450s only came in 2wd & had a straight axle on the front like the semis do. Another thing to take into consideration is that the Dana 80 you pull off of one will be a 10 lug axle. Good, bad, or other wise there it is.

10. djnsj

djnsj Registered User

My idea is to put the frt and rr axles out of a '93 SD into my '89 F350 CC dually p/u. Since the spring pad spacing on the SD doesn't match the p/u frame width, and you can't space the spring perchs out farther, at least that I can tell, I either have to cut and section in the rear part of the SD frame, cut lengthen the SD frame to 168" to match the CC and bed or widen the axle so the spring perchs will match the p/u frame width. Any other thots would sure help me out.

11. robert alston

robert alston Registered User