REAR END QUESTION

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Is it the original F-450, or the later style??

Does it have rear disc-brakes??

How much cash??

In Texas, I might chance it; but, if it is in California, then it is a bit too far from Kentucky.
Ca unfortunately. the only ford diesel I have in TX currently is my '86 F250 4X4.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Also, one of the first things that goes on any truck I have is a Mico Hydraulic Brake Lock.
So where might a person pick up a Mico brake lock. My e brake pedal stopped ratcheting, and before I pay big bucks to Ford (since they tell me only the whole assembly is available) I would rather find this type of lock, take a beaten and pay twice as much, cause I just don't care to deal with Ford at all. :)

What kind of money are we talking. It would be worth more to have all four wheels locked, in any direction as well.
Scott

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where might a person pick up a Mico brake lock. My e brake pedal stopped ratcheting, and before I pay big bucks to Ford (since they tell me only the whole assembly is available) I would rather find this type of lock, take a beaten and pay twice as much, cause I just don't care to deal with Ford at all. :)

What kind of money are we talking. It would be worth more to have all four wheels locked, in any direction as well.
Scott

I think it's set up to lock the rear brakes, but here's the link to Mico
http://www.mico.com/prodguide.php3

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
We were talking about the real F-450's made several years earlier than the new style Super Duties.

QUOTE]

i know that,all my F450s are early 90s.the F450 had the e-brake on the tranny since they came out.and also remember that a mico loc is not legal to use as a parking brake,any reputable inspection station will reject it,DOT cop will put you out of service if you dont have the factory parking brake along with the mico loc.it says right on the mico loc label and instruction that it is not to be used as a parking brake

sign_man

Reaction score
when the break shoes wear out

Since the truck never moves when the parking brake is applied, how do the shoes wear out? The biggest worry with the parking brake is the teaspoon sized capacity. One small oil leak can ruin it in a big hurry.

As far as swapping out fronts and rears from an F-Superduty to an F-350 cab & chassis, I have to ask, why not just buy an F-Superduty and change to your bed? If I were you, I'd actually ride in a 133" F-Superduty before I lusted after one for tire wear purposes. The jarring and bouncing and drinks spilled all over the cab make me wish I had a smooth riding F-350. Most at this age have death wobble issues too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the truck never moves when the parking brake is applied, how do the shoes wear out? The biggest worry with the parking brake is the teaspoon sized capacity. One small oil leak can ruin it in a big hurry.

As far as swapping out fronts and rears from an F-Superduty to an F-350 cab & chassis, I have to ask, why not just buy an F-Superduty and change to your bed? If I were you, I'd actually ride in a 133" F-Superduty before I lusted after one for tire wear purposes. The jarring and bouncing and drinks spilled all over the cab make me wish I had a smooth riding F-350. Most at this age have death wobble issues too.
I'm no stranger to all the above issues-cuss-cuss-cuss
All of it is solvable though. The only thing that isn't solvable is the registration fees for the f450:puke::puke:In kali, the reg fees for a f350 is roughly 275. the reg fees for the f450 is 532. don't even talk about the insurance either.....

djnsj

Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, the factory w.b. options were 137" and 161" and I think a longer one. A factory bed will leave a gap on the short w.b. I thot I'd also heard that the distance between the inside of the inner duals is narrower than a regular bed's wheel wells. I've been trying to figure out how to make my f-superduty axles fit my f-350 cc also. I'd thot of lengthing the f-sd frame to the 168"wb and then swapping over the cab and bed, but I would still have the narrower rear end issue. I talked to one shop about widening the rr end so that the spring pad spacing would match the "pickup frame" spring spacing. He quoted me $2500 to widen and to install an ARB. One trailer building place quoted $3500-$5000 to lengthen frame, if I brought in only the rolling chassis, no body. Seems faster/easier/cheaper route to widen the axle, getting the ARB in the process, which isn't available for the Ford D-80, but is for the Dodge D-80. And no frame strength issues either, after cutting and lengthening.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the orig SD/f450 had a dual width just slightly wider than the F350 commercial chassis and slightly narrower than the pickup chassis. The visual under the pickup bed was not objectionable at all and the inner dual will clear the bed cutouts. rather than deal with lengthing the axle, I'd look into reshaping the bed wheel well. much simpler and cheaper. There's quite a few converted f450's running around here and none had the bed modified to clear the wheels. the 4inch gap was often used to put in a headache rack. Not objectionable looking at all.
What is your goal? if it is to put in a SC where the RC used to go, get a truck where the rear spec is 84"ca. There's many old towtrucks running around with that spec chassis. I've done a SC drop onto a f450 frame, and the only major mod was needed was to cut and raise the rear floor section to clear the frame hump.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
would sure like to find one of the older 450 Super Duty cheap to rob the front and rear.
As far as I know the older F450s only came in 2wd & had a straight axle on the front like the semis do. Another thing to take into consideration is that the Dana 80 you pull off of one will be a 10 lug axle. Good, bad, or other wise there it is.

djnsj

Reaction score
My idea is to put the frt and rr axles out of a '93 SD into my '89 F350 CC dually p/u. Since the spring pad spacing on the SD doesn't match the p/u frame width, and you can't space the spring perchs out farther, at least that I can tell, I either have to cut and section in the rear part of the SD frame, cut lengthen the SD frame to 168" to match the CC and bed or widen the axle so the spring perchs will match the p/u frame width. Any other thots would sure help me out.

robert alston

Reaction score
before you get all excited over this.if you are going to run an F450 rear axle in your f350 you will also need the F450 trannyor have your out put shaft changed or get a 4WD tranny cuz the f450 rear axle does not have a parking brake.the parking break on the f450s is on the tranny.its a suck setup and i do not like it.itsnot user serviceable and when the break shoes wear out you need to replace the whole assembly at 16-1800 dollars,unless you got connections like i do at the ford dealer that will order the parts seperately for you.but then its a PITA cuz you need to put everything back in the same orientation including the 4 nuts and bolts or have it rebalanced.if i could put the ebreak on the rear in f450 i would.94-97 f450s had 5.13gears with the dieselswith auto trans,not sure if the powerstroke had the 5.13s.the diesel with 5 speed and gas jobs had 4.88s.the 94-97 f450s had the dana 80s.the f450s front axle will not fit in a 4WD front suspension.the spacing between the springs on the f450 is 1/2" wider than a 4WD.i looked into this already for my F350.i was gonna put the f450 front suspension under my f4350 for futureplans for a 4WD conversion.another issue with putting anF450 front suspension in an F350 is that you will need to lift the rear of the truck 2-4" to level the truck out as the F450 sits alot higher than an F350.

i have an f350 with a possible 2nd F350 on its way and 4 f450s.