rear end identification

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
ill have to check it out, i noticed a few times lately that i cram the pedal and it seems like its not giving me its all. ill bet that little rivet broke. thanks gator

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
axle code in the pic i posted says 73. does anyone know by sight if the diff pic i posted matches the original factory diff? y'all know better than i do, to me it looks like a diff. haha

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Axle code 73. Open carrier...but it says it's a dana 70 with 5.13's on the chart? That ain't right. Is that her original cab?

She is definitly a Dana axle, most likely a Dana 70...but I KNOW it does NOT have 5.13's in it. Judging from your speed, stock tires and that C6, it had 4.10's.

That must not be her original cab. Let me run the VIN and see what I come up with.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
from what the original owner told me(83yr old man i bought it from) everything he could remember was original except for waht he broke over the years. what did he brake? shoot a few things nothing major. haha. all was replaced and worked fine now.

as far as i know the cab and everything are original. i know my paint is chipping pretty good on the tailgate and the cab,and its a shiny metallic old blue color on both. motor is original as well as tranny/transfer case.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
1FTHF2617EP848156...can you verify that this is your VIN?

I fan't seem to find what the body style is....digits 5-7....F26. It's not listed as to what the truck is, F26 don't exist in the chart.

justcuz

Reaction score
The metal tag on the left side between the 2 bolts should have axle info stamped into it also. The place on the casting I was referring to is the spot that has the diamond shape cast into the housing. Maybe the other numbers in the web above it will tell you what axle it is.
I just remembered another thing, if you google "Dana axle info" or Dana axle chart" It should get you into an online site that has the entire line of Dana axles posted with their ID numbers and BOM's (Bill of Materials). I'll see if I can find a link. If you find it you will know your on the right link because it has about 168 pages of information starting with Dana 35 axles and going all the way up to Dana 70's.

I thought F26 was an F250 styleside code.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
i will try to verify. that is the vin that was on the sticker obivously, lol. but i'm guessing on the dash of the truck it would be the same as the door sticker IF the cab had been replaced? is there a place to check on the engine like some vehicles i have seen? or anywhere else for that matter?

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
justcuz - i was wondering if that was the tag down there. ill try to go crawl under and degrease that sucker. the guy had this as a farm/hauling truck and there is s*** on there from god knows when layered up. thanks

edit: ill try to find the website with the listing, i tried to degrease that diamond (seemed important and irregualr than the rest of the stamped numbers) but of course its full of gunk. see what i can see quick before it gets dark.

84IDI-BERTHA

Reaction score
the diamond shape cast on the housing shows NC inside it. unless it is supposed to be numbers. the tag on the left between the two bolts has nothing on it, if it is stamped into the tag it seems to be covered by a sealant for rust or something. the whole diff cover seems almost like it has a powdercoat finish to it.

anywho, i did make a discovery. the tag and everything came up clueless. the diamond stamp has "NC" inside it. and i decided to look at the front of the diff (above where the driveshaft meets it) if looking at the diff from the driveshaft side, above to the left of the driveshaft was a square tag with a big "70" on it. on the right side above a metal lip, this was cast onto the metal 70-1U any help to you guys? will check this later, time for some coldstone creamery with the old lady :D

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It is a 70. That was easy, because you have 10 diff cover bolts

That's what I thought.

What's with the axle code chart saying it was 5.13's though.

I checked it out here: http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7172

Another site claims it's the D70 (we know this to be true) and 3.54 ratio (of which we are not certain).

But what I worked out on this speed calculator makes sense to 4.10's cookoo

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

final drive 4.10

Transmission ratio 1:1

Tire Size 235/85R16 = a 32" tall tire.

Max RPM was 3200

Top speed comes out at 74 MPH or 119 Km/h

:dunno