Rear Drums Heating

rmckee242

Reaction score
A friend has a 90 F250 4WD. On long trips the rear drums get extremely hot. This happened once before and one side got so hot the tire caught fire. New brakes bearings and seals as a result of the fire (on both sides). The problem has resurfaced. I was told that the old brake flex hose from the frame to the axle could cause this because of rubber floating in there and acting like a check valve. This would explain the problem being intermittent. Anybody ever had this problem? or just some good advise on where to start this time.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Well I burned up both front calipers due to the front hoses sticking like you describe. And yes it was intermittant. I would start by repacing all 3 hoses. Also check your ebrake cables and see if they arent wore out too.

rmckee242

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Forgot to mention in the post that the e-brake cable were free and working properly. Already played that game on my 97 dually.

Black dawg

Reaction score
it is a common failure mode of the rabs valve to drag the rear brakes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... That hose does go bad from the insides and you never see anything on the outside... Get it replaced soon... Once its off the truck try to blow air thru it just to know... Probably a good idea to both of the fronts while your doing the brake work...:sly

rmckee242

Reaction score
Got the flex hoses on the way. Black dawg is the RABS valve on the frame below the master cylinder with an electrical connection on the back? Replacing shoes,pads and master cylinders is the extent on my brake system experience on Ford diesels.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this problem with my 94 left drum would drag, thought it was the left parking brake cable and replaced it, still had the drag so I installed new hardware on both sides and it took care of the problem.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had "over active" auto adjusters on these trucks also. I had to take the auto adjusters off on a old f150 I had because of dragging brakes problems, and I noticed when servicing my f250 a couple of years ago, someone had already taken the little short cables off the rear brakes that go to the auto adjusters. About once a year i have to crawl under the truck and tighten the rear drums up a little bit.