rear disc

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a quality conversion kit you wont be disapointed. I upgraded the rear on my old chevy crew cab, Replaced the proportioning valve with the one provided and hooked up the parking break like the kits instructions and WOW, What a huge difference, I will be converting my crew to rear disk, but I have bigger ifsh to fry right now. Sorry if i dotn agree with most people on this, But I know the system I had was a huge increase over stock drum brakes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I do agree... I have 2 vehicles right now with 4 wheel disk.

A 98 Sable Wagon, and my Excursion.

I love the way they stop..... however, these are both factory systems. I had a 97 sable that was disk/drum and this one does stop better. The E-Brake does work great.... but again a stock system. This is the type of E-Brake that uses the calipers and pads, but you have to "screw in" the pistons when you change brakes.... it is a mechanical action that sets the brakes, but the piston keeps them close to the rotor

My Ex is 4 wheel disk with hydroboost. It will stop so quickly I am surprised it isn't shorter after a hard stop. It is the seperate service / e-brake. The e-brake is a small drum brake, inside the rotor hat. Replacing the pads on the rear is just like on the front.... use a clamp and push the pistons in.......

The big thing that I see is, these were designed to be there.... from the beginning, it is not a retrofit.... They both have 4 wheel ABS, not a porpotioning valve, or a RABS. This make a big difference also. If I had a older truck, and wanted 4 wheel disk. Personally, if it were 4x4, I would buy a 99+ SuperDuty Front and Rear axle, a hydroboost, and change everything. Rims would not be an issue... just use the newer rims. You would have a 4 wheel disk system, designed for a truck, a working e/parking brake.

Just my opinion..... for what its worth......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online