Really High Reving

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the way the power curve starts dropping off at the higher rpms I am not sure it owuld be worth it to push the motor that hard. Still neet to see though.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big are Mack V8 plungers? The DB2 6.9 is .0029" the 7.3 is .0031" and the DB4 in I6 John Deeres are .0033"

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would be willing to guess the Mack plungers are really, really big. Those V-8 Macks could be turned up for some decent power.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mine seems to pull strong almost all the way to the governer, today i pulled a 95 model z28 camaro home had to get into 2nd gear i would shift it into 2nd at 30 but then it would accrlarate back up to the rev limiter which is 35-40 mph but if i shifted to 3rd gear it would start boggin and slowing so i left it in 2nd and welded the revlimter on with with heavy right foot:sly and i come over the 8% grade at about 35-40 with a water temp of 225 and egt was about 1150 or 1200:D

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Put it on the governer and let it eat is my way of thinking. A 6.2 governer spring should get you about 4k, a 5.7 gm should be about 4400 :fan::sly

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
with the way the power curve starts dropping off at the higher rpms I am not sure it owuld be worth it to push the motor that hard. Still neet to see though.

My thoughts exactly.

All of the trucks that were dyno'ed at the rally were all seeing peak HP around 2250 rpms.:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

All of the trucks that were dyno'ed at the rally were all seeing peak HP around 2250 rpms.:dunno

Yup, and to be honest, I never have to drive the truck at those RPM. I was a little freaked hear the truck rev to it's limit on the dyno, but my IP only went to 3150 or 3200 RPM........... at least that's what the graph showed.

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
and some one wouldnt happen to have a 6.2 governer spring laying around that they would sell do they?? i would really like to have one:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Peak hp is up around 3300 rpm.... Peak torque is around 1800 to 2000 rpm. So says my Navistar shop manual...:sly

FordGuy100

Reaction score
One thing I was seeing while I was messing with the turbo maps on the Moose thread...was that it seemed like all the good turbo's would work perfect up to 3300rpm's, but it started to go out of efficiency when the rpm's went above 3500rpm's. Boost would stay the same number, its just the turbo has to put out more lbs/minute and cfm to feed the engine with the same amount of air per stroke. This pushed the turbo out of its efficiency range, bringing down the volumetric efficiency, and bringing up the heat output of the turbo.

So effectivly pushing rpm's that high is acting like spinning a turbo past its efficiency range, it will only superheat the air, and loose you more power.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
One thing I was seeing while I was messing with the turbo maps on the Moose thread...was that it seemed like all the good turbo's would work perfect up to 3300rpm's, but it started to go out of efficiency when the rpm's went above 3500rpm's. Boost would stay the same number, its just the turbo has to put out more lbs/minute and cfm to feed the engine with the same amount of air per stroke. This pushed the turbo out of its efficiency range, bringing down the volumetric efficiency, and bringing up the heat output of the turbo.

So effectivly pushing rpm's that high is acting like spinning a turbo past its efficiency range, it will only superheat the air, and loose you more power.

unless you use a turbo that doesnt go out of its effciency range then it shouldnt super heat the air

FordGuy100

Reaction score
unless you use a turbo that doesnt go out of its effciency range then it shouldnt super heat the air

Yup ;Sweet

But those of us who only have the stock sized turbo's...the difference between 3300 and 3800rpms is a good amount that can punch us out of the efficiency range and into the super heated range.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
I wish my 94 would turn up like my s-1600. I can get the S to do 3600 no load while the 94 will only pull off 3300.

BTW, I finally got the pyro working in my s-1600 today and she will only make 950f @ #7 ;Sweet pump @ 100% and turbo injectors.