Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought these bolts from ATS spring and they assured me its for an 06 truck soo..i duno whos wrong here. I have yet to torque them, but even so i dont think it will pull it in far enough that the frame bracket will be sitting on the shoulder

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks.

ordered this pronto. 7 rolls x25 feet of 16awg for 21 bucks?!
this will make making my new wiring harnesses much cheaper than expected

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your harness that bad or are you wanting to just customize it? The harness out to the tail of the truck is pretty simple and could be duplicated. You will need the connectors for the fuel tank sending units and stuff but other than that, (because you are running a flatbed right) you don't really need much else. I would strongly recommend ordering a roll of wire loom too. Its not that expensive. It makes a nice job and is a nice extra layer of protection. The other thing to remember is these trucks are long. 25 feet of wire doesn't go very far by the time you go over around and through stuff.

On my truck I essentially have about 4 plugs that spit off the main harness that plugs into the cab. Pull those plugs apart, and pull the cab harness plug apart and you pretty much can blow the truck apart. I would recommend some weather pack connectors in some strategic places to make working on things later a lot easier. I'm planning a good bit of add-on electrical to my truck so I'm probably going to go with an extra load center of some sort. It's nice to be able to just unplug things to take them apart and service them.

Just some thoughts.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not running a flatbed, just my old one.
Yeah i might have to order some 50 or 100 foot spools but its always ok to have stock, rather than running out. Also not using any wire thats already on my old frame as i dont want to deal with the grime of them.
will make a new GP harness using my old one as a mock up. Headlights are on their own switch and relay, highbeams seperate switch. Just quicker and easier to do everyhtign in a modular approach rather than using factory igniton and headlamp switch.
Im just runniing all new wires whever i feel it necessary. Ignition is custom, all accessories custom, new fuse block, circuit breakers on almost everything. Main firewall connection is thru a milspec bulkhead, and definitly usign weatherpack connectors to any connection son the engine so everythign can be serviced easily.

Ordered upa shitton of loom as well. Looming my rubber fuel lines and alkl wiring that runs along the frame. Ordered up some SS 3/16 brake line too.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice shot of the chassis.
You must be registered for see images attach

Monroe gas magnums including steering stabilizer and
Energy suspension body mounts this week. going to use some thick gr8 washers to bolt the body thru the cab mount-sandwiching the mount in place. would be nice to use stainless hardware for this however. just lathering more paint on at this point, need to pick up the intercooler and source a 55g rear tank. will have to move the 2nd last crossmember to accomodate tucking the tank up.

Ordering some stainless brake line and any missing fittings i need.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh boy oh boy got some goodies today.

6.0 intercooler, 44 gal excursion tank, JB fab hand throttle, JB fab twin stick cable shifter with 48" of cable, Keeper snatch strap.

yup it will be a mission to get this tank up there behind the axle...i might slide the entire receiver hitch 3-4" forward, so i can have room right as the back of the frame to add a brace. This will also give me clearance to run my rail lift gate (if i decide on it).
And I will need to fab another crossmember to fit around this excursion tank. Definitly trying to tuck it up as high as it can go.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOnt hate me, but i think Im going to paint my engine, trans and transfer case Cat Old Yellow. Its cheap durable paint and will be a nice contrast with the grey and black.
flame suit on.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, does look good! now gotta find where i can get a gallon of this paint around me.

closest one is 40 miles away not happening.
ill call tomorrow see if they can ship

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the tank wants to live here. Will cut both rear cross members out, use a C channel section at the very rear, and thinking a flat goose neck receiver plate instead of the left side rear cross member.
Or use a a double C channel (I beam) in place where a gooseneck receiver plate would go? The I beam design would give it some good stifness there I would think.

can tuck it up a good 5-6" from this point.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Euclid green, for engine and trans etc...***** that's my suggestion for paint colour.

K now I like that shifter n throttle.

How much for a throttle??

Good luck on the fuel tank fittment.

starting to come together eh?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
throttle was 40 bucks. Cheaped out and dind tget the 14$ shiifter mount but f**k it, i can make my own out of some pipe, drill a few holes, couple welds and some set screws.

Coming together indeed. But if frightens me how much is still actually left to do lol. Its all the little things now. IM trying to find stainless fittings for the brake lines but no one knows the thread size apparently.

I waste alot of time everyday jus tlooking and walking around my chassis. Probably like 30 mins after work and another 45-1hour before I go to bed lol. just admiring its size and thinking how to route stuff.

Tonight I will get the shocks mounted up, get a few more coats of paint on the rear and front calipers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online