RE-TORQUEING ARP STUDS 6.9 TURBO-HELP

71 Highboy

Reaction score
I have a question for those using studs on these antiques. After pulling a loaded 3 horse trailer on Saturday afternoon, when I started the truck Sunday afternoon, there was coolant dripping from the passenger side at front of head. No apparent hose leaks I could identify. I parked it, and took the other truck.
If you have experience with these studs and application, what is the recommended re-torque value? There is about 3500 miles on it since all work was completed. Thanks in advance.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Make sure your thermostat housing or the temp sender for the high idle and timing advance isn't leaking. Both will cause coolant to run down the front of the passenger side head.

Most guys go over the factory torque range with arp studs. I don't see any reason you couldn't run back through them in sequence and make sure they are all still tight.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
Make sure your thermostat housing or the temp sender for the high idle and timing advance isn't leaking. Both will cause coolant to run down the front of the passenger side head.

Most guys go over the factory torque range with arp studs. I don't see any reason you couldn't run back through them in sequence and make sure they are all still tight.

that was it. simple fix. I didn't have to re-torque the studs. They were good. it was the bottom bolt on the t stat housing; about 1/2 turn. Of course it's behind the filter support plate, so that had to move out of the way.... thanks

Last edited:

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I went a bit above with my 6.9 when I studded it. Torqued them down to 120 ft lbs. Not sure if that is recommended, but I never had issues this way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker