RDT questions

1994IDI

Reaction score
Just what we need, another RDT post.

I would like to change from the stock CDR setup, to an RDT, and have a few simple questions.
Can I run a hose from the CDR canister on the valve cover, down to the bottom of the truck. Or does the CDR can need to go?
I was considering just unhooking the existing hose from the intake, turning it over and routing it to the undercarriage. I am not concerned with the vapor, I just want to get the oil out of my turbo, and do whats best for the truck.
Thanks for any help guys.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a CDR can on the valve cover, but I obviously don't know that much. Could you describe or take a picture of that setup?

My main concern with this whole thing is I'm going from intake (under vacuum) pulling vapor out of my crankcase to a postive pressure in my crankcase. So you may want to eliminate the CDR and put a bigger fitting on there. Or just try clamp a new hose to the CDR and see if you spring a bunch of new oil leaks:eek: and let me knowcookoo

1994IDI

Reaction score
I think the valve cover can is on the valve cover on factory turbo 7.3's. I will probably try clamping a new hose on the can, but I'm hoping for some more input. Stay tuned.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main concern with this whole thing is I'm going from intake (under vacuum) pulling vapor out of my crankcase to a postive pressure in my crankcase.

In the old days before PCV valves, most all cars had a road draft tube. Notice the name "road draft"? They pointed a pipe toward the ground, and the air passing under the vehicle while it was moving created a draft or negative pressure, pulling the stuff out of the engine somewhat. On the old chevies I seem to remember the metal pipe being cut at a angle, with the open face toward the rear of the vehicle, and the pipe was definitely in the air stream under the vehicle.

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reason why that can is on the vavle cover and going into the intake is so that the turbo takes the pressure out of the crankcase. i had the same problems with mine. i have an intercooler, and on the cool side of the intercooler my boots would get oil on them and fall/blow off. to sovle this little problem i made an oil catch box with a filter material in it, and had it feed back into the turbo to maintain the pressure suction. then i had another can below it to catch the oil. i dump it every time i fill up. it works like a charm.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Goose: I agree the CDR is for the pressure to be removed from the crankcase, but I m not intercooled, and don't have any problems with the system.. just wanting to switch to an RDT. Hoping to get some input from the guys that are running this on the turbo 7.3.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Stock Ford/ATS Turbo Valve Cover, there's a hole through the Left cover and a 9" long Baffle Plate welded inside the cover right under the hole.