Random Loss of Electrical Power Short in Ignition / Starter Switch

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of members having electrical starting issues lately and have been knocking on wood but in the past week a short has developed in my starter switch. About a week ago truck just died for no apparent reason, restarted fine and off I went. Few days later it happened again but this time I noticed that if the key didn't come back to just the right place it would die again and now that sweet spot is getting smaller and smaller.

Definitely something in the key part of the switch or further down on the switch on the column. After doing some searching on here I'm heeding @towcat 's warning about it possibly being a fire hazard at this point and the DQ'd the batteries until I can pinpoint the problem.

Anything you guys can add is appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
buy a slider switch and replace it. it's only $35 and a huge peace of mind.
another thing is have done over the years is to isolate the "crank" portion of the slider by bypassing the wires and installing a separate heavy duty push button elsewhere on my dash. it does two things. one. the stresses on the slider is reduced and two, it's a passive anti-theft feature.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the switch. After dropping the steering column I could see that the switch had separated and came completely apart once removed from the column.

Starts and runs great now.

You must be registered for see images attach

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the warnings about truck going into melt down mode I figured it best to just replace.

What does this switch do or not do to make it a fire hazard anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726