Rain leaking into cab floor (non rust belt)

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Alright, since I've owned this truck, it's leaked rain water into the driver's side carpet from a spot near the high-beam floor switch.. It's not coming from a hole in the floor, as I've already looked and covered the underneath with a bed liner coating. It does it while the truck sits overnight.

Another observation: After a bad rain storm or after I wash my truck, water drips steadily from the drivers side cowl drain near the front tire for sometimes three or four hours. It's obviously plugged, but I'm not familiar with how the whole system works.

My guess is that the cowl drain is backing up, and the backed-up water is seeping into the cab. How do I fix this problem(s). TIA

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this would be your cause, but the side vent just above the hi/low headlight floor switch, has a drain (a piece of rubber tubing) that should drain the vent housing. IIRC the sliding vent vent can be removed - just a few screws is all. Once off you can then clean out leaves and pine needles that have a habit of falling down there over time. Clear these out and make sure the rubber drain tube underneath is clear. The vents get clogged up and don't drain - often causing leakages into the cab floor - passenger side the same too.

HTH

mariner

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Hmm, ok. My truck came with A/C, so it doesn't have those vents to open up like the non A/C trucks. I'll dig in there and see what I find.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a wet carpet for quite a while now when it rains, from about the clutch pedal area to the drivers door. I think I just found the source of my water intrusion on my Dodge last night. My drivers side fresh air vent in the kick panel was full of leaves and the drain was blocked. I think the Fords are set up the same way :dunno something to check.
Travis..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the driver's side kick panel off, then set up a sprinkler or garden hose on the cabin and windshield area. Wait for a few minutes like that and see if anything is dripping in.

In my F150, I had water comming in through a hole for a screw on the structure behind the kick panel. Water had to be draining down from the cowl area just right but when it was, it would make a big mess in short order. Your cabin will be VERY similar to mine. Took the screw out, put some urethane caulking on it and never had a problem since. Even sitting in the rain for months results in no water sitting in the foot well anymore.

Titojeep

Reaction score
My leak on the driver floor board was coming from the Brake booster. I guess the seal on the firewall was not right when the booster was replaced before I owned it. I siliconed around the top of the booster and so far so good. I also had water in the rear floor but that was from the leaking seal on the exterior cab light gasket overhead.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I had several leaks. Most of mine were at the steering column where I was missing a bolt on the top. I still have a small one, but it is hard to find. Also, you need to pull the carpet back and see if it is not coming from more towards the center. There is a little shelf at the top of the incline that the water can sit on and run towards the drivers side. Pull the seat, carpet and run a hose down the cowell and see where the leak is.

SWS

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Thanks fella's. It's very clearly starting near the high beam switch, and spreading out as it heads towards the seat. I'll see what I can find this weekend when I'm not working.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> DRIP --- DRIP --- DRIP <<<

I had two points of intrusion for the water that kept soaking my left floor-board.

That stiff felt/rubber diverter-thingie across the top of the firewall has long been missing in action; they don't last long and soon crumble away.

Thus, the big grommet through the firewall, where most everyone pokes various wires and such through, was letting water invade by running along the numerous wires and cables.

Addressing that helped some.

Then, I pulled the chrome windshield trim and found it packed full of pine-needles, leaves, and all manner of :puke: **** :puke: .

I thoroughly cleaned away all that mess and applied a heavy layer of a quality clear silicone caulk completely around the glass, then re-attached the windshiield trim.

That little procedure has thus far left my cab dry as a bone. ;Sweet

I probably also benefitted from completely removing the cowl-cover, blower-motor, kick-panels, and heater-core cover, and cleaning out tons of leaves and debris. ;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I was just gonna suggest the cowl seal. The ones off the 92+ are a little better design than the earlier ones. Get a good one from the salvage yard, and install it with some 100% silicone sealant.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Well, I went out and pulled the kick plate. There's definitely some fresh water in the carpet from last night. And to my surprise, there was a Gear Vendors switch under it! nice. (The extra headlight looking switch by the brake pedal..)

You must be registered for see images attach

The vent Mel posted a pic of has a cover over it.

Before I removed it, I wanted to see if I could unplug the drain from the exterior... Nope.. I just pushed the debris back up into the cab when I tried removing it. Here's my best pic of the drain, it's the flap of rubber Mel also posted a pic of. (My flashlight is making it blue..)

I was gonna pull that cover, but the railroad called, and now I'm due out to a freight in two hours, so I resorted to taking off the bottom 4 bolts and digging out the Mud and needles packed thick in there..

Here's what I dug out in just 15 minutes using my fingertips

To be continued when I get a rest day or two, I wanna pull the fender and clean all the mud out of everything. Thanks again for the help fella's :hail

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86