Radiator leak

bluecollar

Reaction score
Put a new water pump and lift pump on today and somehow accidentaly knocked a pinhole in the radiator taking the fan off. The leak is middle ways down and dead center of the fan . Question is can I use JB Weld or is a radiator shop repair in order?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it an aluminum or copper/brass based Rad. If copper core, drain fluid below pin hold clean with good solder past and solder the pin hole closed.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's an original 18 year old radiator you may want to get it recored....especially if it was that easy to pinhole. You're probably on borrowed time before it let's you down at the worst possible time.

bluecollar

Reaction score
Can't afford a new one right now so if I could get a few more months out of this one it would help me alot. Do you think the JB Weld idea would give me a little time? Never done any soldering before. What do I need to get to do this job?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
try some Barr's stop leak - I have seen it at just about any autoparts store you can imagine. That will buy you the time you are looking for - might buy more time...

Oh I seen on Mythbuster that they used an egg in the rad to plug one - it worked but I'm sure it wouldn't hold for very long but might get you down the road a few miles...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't afford a new one right now so if I could get a few more months out of this one it would help me alot. Do you think the JB Weld idea would give me a little time? Never done any soldering before. What do I need to get to do this job?

If your new to solder...and the truck is old...Then IMO this is one of the best solutions.;Sweet http://www.irontite.com/adds.htm

JB well will only be applied to the "OUTSIDE" and likely not hold well picture trying to plug the bathtub from the wrong side...enough pressure would push the plug out.

Your only options are to use a cooling system additive like others and myself have suggested or solder it.

Ease of use would dictate the cooling additive.:thumbsup:

Al

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a rad shop. Bars Leak is garbage IMHO. Bars leak could clog up other vital cooling system ports.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I agree. You don't need it clogging the oil cooler.

I'd say find someone with some experiance, and solder it.

It might be tough, if the rad is in poor condition. It can open a new can of worms.

I've got a good one for you.

2 summers ago, I bought a new Rad off Ebay. $200 I came home one day, and there it was, sitting inside the door of my shop. That weekend, I installed it in my 85. The next Fri. I came home, and there was another new radiator sitting inside the door of my garage! ***??

I emailed the seller direct. They never responded. So now, I've got new rads in both of my trucks.

You should take a few mins and fill out a sig. Include your location.

If your close, I'd sell you a used rad, for the price of a core. Prolly around $30

The one in my 93 was fine. It just has a few bent fins.

Last edited:

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did this on my old scout gently pinch the leaking tubes shut then roll them each 2-3 times firmly squeasing them shut with each turn , be careful not to damage any other tubes while doing this. can be done in the truck, engine hot on the roadside, dont ask how I know but if rad is otherwise ok this fix can be permanent.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i wouldent personally run any stop leak stuff in there, be careful if you try to pinch it shut. i have done that and the fins running between the tubs pulled and caused a hole in another tube. this can lead to a bad domino affect. this just gets worse the older the rad is.

before learning to do it myself i took the rad out and ran to a local shop. they only charged me $10-15 to put a drop of solder in it with some experienced hands and the right tools. if you have a good reputation with a local shop they would probubly do it for free or a nice hot pizza.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to a rad shop. Bars Leak is garbage IMHO. Bars leak could clog up other vital cooling system ports.
What he said. I wouldn't use Bars except in a dire emergency...you'll never completely get it out of the cooling system, and other parts WILL get clogged.

If a new radiator or solder isn't really an option, I think I would go with shorthair's suggestion...do it right, and it should hold (I would pinch the tube as high up as possible, and in more than one spot on both sides of the leak)...

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
i had my rad fixed where seams had come open do to extra pressure in the rad? now that it runs better i have found a pin hole or two in the fresh solder what would i do to fix this? would i need to drill the hole or just heat it and re-solder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger