Radiator Killer!

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Core support is shot and the rad is moving. Grab the rad and see if you can move it. I bet it is rusted through at the bottom and allowing it to moove.

SWS

I agree. If the engine were moving that much other things would be broken besides the radiator and fan.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
just went and tried to shake the **** out of the core, rad and anything else i could grab... Nothing budged an inch... Crawled under the truck and looked at all the supports and all are solid...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Maybe the engine could move that far without other damage then. Get them separated and try my other suggestion and see what happens.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
Ill give it a try after work tom and let u know... now thanks to this damn truck i only get 3 hrs of sleep.... Thank everyone ill keep you updated

FordMan1014

Reaction score
And the next thing im wondering is if Orileys will let me use the lifetime warranty on the rad for this prob, not to mention its only a couple hours old!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Put a jack under your core support. I just worked on one that did the same thing and I would have swore it was solid, the holes where the core support bolts mount were wore large enough that it sat down on the rubber mounts tightly, but under torque, it would lift slightly and move around. Also try putting a little jack pressure on the motor mounts lifting up and see how they look. If they are that shot, I'd guess you'd be able to just raise the motor up off of them.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well something sure as hell is moving around!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well this is getting interesting here. I really wish you had told us the fan had not loosened up and spun off the threads. Your answers would have been differant thats for sure. So something is moving and only when you turn the truck. I don't think its a cracked frame but please check the frame anyway. This may end up a search for whats not broken till you find the reason for the failure. Pick a location on the engine and get a measurement back to the firewall. Then when you get the fan out of the radiator take the truck for another short run. Try to turn the opposite direction and stop. See if the measurement had changed. If no change run it again but turn it the same direction that it was when the accident happened. Stop and take a measurement. From what we know at this time is the fan has gotten closer to the radiator by about 2 inches from when you installed it. Now take a look at the original radiator mountaing flange. See if its differant from the part house radiator you just installed...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Not possible for the drivetrain to move that far without other problems. Your core support is moving or the rad cracked at the mounts from being bent or moving while driving. The only other thing would be if the shaft is pulling out of the water pump. What is the shape on the rad? Is it an eyebrow or is the entire fan making a circle in the rad?

SWS

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Not possible for the drivetrain to move that far without other problems. Your core support is moving or the rad cracked at the mounts from being bent or moving while driving. The only other thing would be if the shaft is pulling out of the water pump. What is the shape on the rad? Is it an eyebrow or is the entire fan making a circle in the rad?

SWS

Dont rule out the drivetrain moving far.
I built an 88 Ranger with a built 351W and when that thing hooked and launched, it was shoving the fan into the back of the radiator everytime until I had to put solid motor mounts in. :eek:
I killed 2 Griffin aluminum radiators and a custom dual pass conventional radiator before I found the problem.
I'd definitely check the mounts as a culprit.