Radiator Killer!

FordMan1014

Reaction score
Ok, last week i just bought a 92 F250 7.3, ZF5, 4x4. Monday night i was pulling to a buddys driveway and for god know what reason my fan decided to go through my radiator! So today i bought a brand new $350 rad and got it installed drove it for about 30 miles and it was all good... Then on my way home about 2 miles from my house it did it again! My only thought was engine mounts but im not sure??? Has anyone had this problem???-cuss

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, and I take my fan off every winter. I heard that loctite is a good idea to use, but never did on mine.

Did this happen during an engine shut off or deceleration?

Only other case I heard of this was during an engine shut down.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a two fold cause. The first cause is you must use blue loctite on the threads. the second cause is a torque od 165 lbs is needed. Leve out any one of those two items and its coming off. These engines stop turning so fast when you turn off the ignition. this is caused from the high compression we have. Its 21 1/2 to 1 cr. My engine has 530 lbs of compression. When I shut down the engine sometimes I up in front of it working on it. It stops like someone hit the brakes in a panic stop. This sudden stopping of the fan will break loose the fan clutch thread is it is not tight and has loctite on it. The blue loctite will mean you need more than 165 lbs of torque to loosen the nut but gees.... thats better than it getting loose on its own and eating a third radiator.... Really sorry for your troubles. Hopefully this helps get you on the right track now...

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any back and forth or up and down play in the fan?. It could be the water pump if it is.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
downsifting jerks the engine and in turn the fan nut, its just forcing itself off. tighten it up with blue locktite. use correct wrench on nut its a ***** to have to clean burrs off that nut because someone cant use the right tools. and I promise you will not get it tight enough without burring the hell out of it with channel locks or a pipe wrench.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
downsifting jerks the engine and in turn the fan nut, its just forcing itself off. tighten it up with blue locktite. use correct wrench on nut its a ***** to have to clean burrs off that nut because someone cant use the right tools. and I promise you will not get it tight enough without burring the hell out of it with channel locks or a pipe wrench.

The fan is still tightly attached...

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Get a buddy to help you. With it running with the park brake on and foot on the brake put it in gear and slowly put some load on it while one of you watches from the side. That should let you see any movement of the engine.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it did not, thats what makes me think motor mounts are shot and that the whole thing is moving all over under my hood!

OK, that changes things a bit. In addition to what Fordsandguns said, check the rad support mounts to see if anything is rotted out.

What sort of running clearance do you have between the fan and the rad with the engine off? If you can post some photos, it might offer some clues for us as well.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
Get a buddy to help you. With it running with the park brake on and foot on the brake put it in gear and slowly put some load on it while one of you watches from the side. That should let you see any movement of the engine.

Now i just have the get the bent fan blade out of my rad to i can even start it...

FordMan1014

Reaction score
All the rad bolts were just installed at about 8pm tues night and the damn rad didnt move at all. I had about 3in clearance before it happened again, now i have about -1in

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Core support is shot and the rad is moving. Grab the rad and see if you can move it. I bet it is rusted through at the bottom and allowing it to moove.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online