Racor ccv 4500 installation

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just picked up a Racor CCV4500 for my '92 f350 .
Has anyone installed one of these things?
any hints on where to attach the drainback valve?
I've done a similar type of oil trap on a small diesel and soldered a fitting to the dipstick tube, but i don't know if that would work with the larger line.are there any threaded fittings already tapped into the oil pan?
Also any tips on the attachments at the manifold ?
I did get the hose kit with it, bit it onlt comes with fittings for the filter end.

Thanks-----------Robert

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, someone installed a CCV oil separator much like the one you have, and the unit wound up not being able to properly handle the blowby coming out of an IDI...the unit put enough pressure on the crankcase vent that he lost his rear main seal as a result.

Maybe this guy had an exceptionally high level of blowby...so, while IMHO this is something you should be concerned about, maybe you won't have this issue. :) If you don't, I'd love to know...as I'd like to be able to separate the oil of my blowby as well...

Thanks!

I don't believe there are any threaded fittings on the oil pan...you'd probably be best off having the oil drain go into a valve cover or into the oil filler pipe (or into the cap itself, as some people have done with the bypass oil filter setup). Or, if you're putting it really close to the valley pan as it sounds like you are, you can punch a hole into the valley pan and run the hose into there.

Good luck!!

tenlug

Reaction score
Lets us know how this works. Which size is the 4500? I think there are 3. To me this looks like a good way to keep oil out of the turbo with out going to a RDT. Thanks. Steve

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
tenlug said:
Lets us know how this works. Which size is the 4500? I think there are 3. To me this looks like a good way to keep oil out of the turbo with out going to a RDT. Thanks. Steve

It's the small one.
I installed a similar oil trap, a stock one out of a mid sized Isuzu delivery truck, that was baffeled inside, but no filter element, on a volvo diesel and it worked great

-----------Robert

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Warden said:
IIRC, someone installed a CCV oil separator much like the one you have, and the unit wound up not being able to properly handle the blowby coming out of an IDI...the unit put enough pressure on the crankcase vent that he lost his rear main seal as a result.
Well I got two of thse things in a package deal, I was planning on selling one, but mabey I just ought to plan ahead and instal a T and divert the blow by into both units, that would cut the restriction in half????

if that works, then one of the sigle larger units would definitely handle one of these things

-----------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to sell one, let me know.
my plans are to use one inline on the RDT idea but plumbing into the exhaust for the exit.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
towcat said:
If you want to sell one, let me know.
my plans are to use one inline on the RDT idea but plumbing into the exhaust for the exit.

Would you get enough of a draw on it tapped into the exhaust?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the drain back options, check out oilchangesolutions.com and the SHA drain hose assembly for ideas.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Agnem said:
As for the drain back options, check out oilchangesolutions.com and the SHA drain hose assembly for ideas.

Is that the correct web addy? I've tried that oilchangesoloutions.com with www and http:// and it's a no go with either.

patternman

Reaction score
This may be an alternative to the Racor unit:
Fleetguard EnviroGuard

It is an open crankcase aerosol filtered design & is available in 8 different sizes, from 60 to 640 HP.
I haven't been able to find one online to check prices, perhaps it is new?
The pdf linked above appears to be a sales brochure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.