Queston regarding LUK smf install

rumley3060e

Reaction score
For those who have done it or assisted, which is the most time effective method due to my added trinkets, removal of engine or transmission. See signature. I do need a new core support, but I don't want to make a weekend project out of this.

Thanx,
Ryan

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just drop the tranny.it takes me 3 hours from start to finish to do it

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that 3 hours is a pretty conservative estimate I think. When I did it, it took me all afternoon, but of course that included doing the lucky mod. 4X4's are of course a little more involved because of the extra parts. The transfer case is not bad. When you take all the bolts out, there is an aligment dowel, that in conjunction with the splined shaft, will keep the transfer case hanging on. Support the case with your belly and some gentle prying will break it loose. I'd drain both boxes first by the way. When you go to pull the stick, two things. One is, the stick comes off with two bolts, and all your left with is a stub. But, the job will go much easier if you remove the whole top lid, exposing the shifting mechanism. Be VERY carefull when you remove this. There is a spring loaded tang that will try to take off, or worse, drop down inside. Take the lid off like your diffusing a bomb. The other thing that gets a lot of guys is the cab seam lip. It has a tendency to get in the way of the top of the bell housing. Best way to deal with that, is just to wrestle with it. I prefer to support the back of the engine at the pan, but some guys will tell you you don't have to. You'll definitely want the ZF on a jack of some kind, and supported so that it won't roll off.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aric, if you have a good transmission jack, you probably can do that. I don't, and so have to balance the tranny on a regular floor jack. I would think having the transfer case on there would try and roll it right over the way I do it.