Question on IDI Piston Ring Order

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all. Well, I would've had an assembled long block by now, but ... I got ready to put my rings on, opened the box and the rings were in separate compartments, but the compression rings weren't marked as to which was the top ring. These are Mahle Chrome rings. I have never opened a set of rings in which each group of rings weren't labeled?!
The Chrome ring has NO markings on it and no bevel and a smaller ring gap.
The Cast-iron ring has a single dimple on it, an inside bevel on the opposite side, a slightly larger ring gap and a white paint stripe for designation ... they just didn't say what it designated?!
Any help would be appreciated!

Quigly

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Chrome is the top ring, cast iron (.060 gap!) is the second, with the dimple up. Ford instructions are to space the ring gaps about 45 degrees off center (changing direction for each ring, of course) on the high side (toward the valley), I cannot remember the oil ring gap placement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A bit of caution... The top and second ring have a top and bottom side to the rings... Make sure you place them in the ring groove so they face the correct direction. The top ring has a very slight bevel facing towards the bottom of the piston so it scrapes the cylinder bore as the piston comes up... Now the second ring has a bevel that points towards the bottom of the piston so it scrapes the cylinder bore as the piston is going down in the cylinder. The three part oil ring really has no direction of installation. Just do the center part first and make sure the scraper rings fit into the center part properly. The scrapers actually ride on the edge of the center part of the oil ring... Look closely at it...