question about glowplug condition

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
pulled out the plugs (they were autolite) from the previous owner... put in z9's.

anyway, the old ones weren't swollen or anything, no broken peices.
they were REALLY carboned up and white, all were in the same condition.
if I need to I can take a pic.

is this standard? or is this a timing issue?

ohh, and recently the truck has started really easily in the morn, but it's idle'd REALLY rough and than shuts down. After that it takes a good bit of cranking to get her fired up. Once warm, it idles smooth as silk.
Injection pump issue? I mean, it is the original with 170k miles on it.

thanks
Drew

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DeepRoots said:
pulled out the plugs (they were autolite) from the previous owner... put in z9's.

anyway, the old ones weren't swollen or anything, no broken peices.
they were REALLY carboned up and white,......

Drew

Drew,

Seems like a contradiction to me. If they were carboned up, they'd be black. The inner part of the glowplugs is a white ceramic, but coated with the metal casing...

Either way, usually if there is a timing issue, then there'd be pieces misssing, and/or tips burned off etc. Since it sounds like they all came out intact, then you should just count your lucky stars(autolite are known to be crap) and go with it.

As for the starting issue. It sounds just like the classic air in fuel lines situation. You probably need to replace the return lines, and definately check all the fittings. Somewhere in there air is getting in, and the fuel is draining backwards to the tank. It starts on the fuel in the pump, runs for a bit, then when it dies, you have to crank and crank to re-prime everything...

Also, an electric pump eliminates this problem. Not only does it prime while you are waiting for the glow plugs to warm up, but any leaks show up as fuel leaks and are quickly evident. Mine starts on the first piston to the top everytime and has for years....

Zigg :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
thanks zig,
regarding the plugs, they have 2mm black carbon on them, but it looks like it was burned white towards the base. Anyway, I'm not worried... just figured I'd ask.

Returns lines (actually all the fuel lines) are fresh.
I probably bumped one while swapping out the plugs, or It may be that pesky line going from inj 1 to the fuel filter.... dunno, I'll work on it sunday.

and yeah, I was suprised the autolites came out without a hitch (I actually followed your advise regarding getting the piston to TDC).

and geez, everyone is pushing the electric fuel pumps lately :) must have stock in 'holleyreds' or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online