Question about electric door locks

River Rat

Chief Putz
Reaction score
OK - this could affect the outcome - I have a turbo temperature monitor in the truck (2001 PSD), so right away you know that the GEM has been affected. Sometimes the door locks work, sometimes they don't. Depends on how long it ran before it shut down. No big deal.

However (there's always that however) the two front door locks don't always lock or unlock even when using the button on the arm rest, regardless of the GEM. The passenger door lock is the absolute worst - 90% of the time I have to manually pull it up or use the key to unlock the door.

Any suggestions? :confused:

jvencius

Reaction score
I'd be more inclined to think the lock/latch mechanism is sticky/corroded vs. a messed-up GEM. Try pulling the door panels off and seeing if there's any lube points you could hit to see if that makes a difference...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its not on the mechanical side you might try taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts. I know in the OBS years that the power window buttons are famous for stopping working due to needing a little cleaning.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
RR,

What year of truck?? I know with the superdities that the accuator gets weak over time and does sort of what your talking about.. I can hear it trying to work but it doesn't move the locks.. I bought some new accuators to go inline with the original ones but have not had to time to put them in yet... my side still works and thats all that matters right? :D

River Rat

Chief Putz
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
RR,

What year of truck?? I know with the superdities that the accuator gets weak over time and does sort of what your talking about.. I can hear it trying to work but it doesn't move the locks.. I bought some new accuators to go inline with the original ones but have not had to time to put them in yet... my side still works and thats all that matters right? :D
It's a 2001. Someone had mentioned the accutators to me before. They try to work. And its not all the time that they act up, which kind of weirded me out. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.:confused:

I'll probably pull the door panel this weekend and see what the deal is. And yeah - yer right Dieselmaster - if mine works I'm good to go!:thumbsup:

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
RR,

2001 Is most likely the accuators... They get weak...

I bought some for like $4 each...

I have the truck all apart right now fixing the turbo.. I might as well do the door locks... that way I can tell if it works and how well..

On my truck it started out the same way... Sometimes they wouldn't lock or unlock on the first try... Then the drivers side back door wouldn't work... then the wifes door... now its just mine and the PS back that work...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online