pyrometer placement / turbo

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i used search to look, but didn't find my specific answer, actually made me question further... read about pyro placement, most of what i read seemed to say between cyl 6 & 8.... but then i seen something say closer to turbo the better? is that a true statement? i may finally get around to installing the pyro o bought 2 months ago and want to make sure i put it in the right spot.. thanks.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as close to the source of heat as possible. So yes cyl 8 on the manifold. That will give you the most true and safe reading.

TDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another , possibly easier, option is to use a clamp type pyrometer, drill a hole in the exhaust for the probe, likely place on the passenger side but I'm not sure, going through the same issue now, I have a pyro to install and it came with a clamp type probe somewhere I read where to locate it and I think the poster was Mel from Conestoga diesel - if anyone would know it would be him

I also have a water temp meter to install...where that goes is another issue

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put mine right here at the rear of the drivers side manifold. Drilled and tapped it with a 1/8th npt. Didn't even take too long. I did this before a turbo was installed, so I didn't have to worry about drill shavings going through the turbo...

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Put mine right here at the rear of the drivers side manifold. Drilled and tapped it with a 1/8th npt. Didn't even take too long. I did this before a turbo was installed, so I didn't have to worry about drill shavings going through the turbo...

Exactly. And it's actually pretty easy to get to.
I drilled taped with the engine running.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's exactly where both of mine are. I have the ATS 093 turbo setups so i just pulled the crossover pipe off the bottom and all the drill shaving went out onto the ground. Drills and taps really easy.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Some have the Pyro after the turbo with the banks kit but you have to add about 300 deg to the number to figure what the temp is at the engine. That is where it is important to be as close to the turbo as possible. I much prefer to get the numbers straight from the manifold to be as accurate as possible.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my pyro in a 1994 Ford stock system about 4 inches below the turbo. On the up tube before the turbo. Fit tested so I can remove while turbo and plumbing is intact. I also wrapped the down tubes with fiber insulation to keep some heat out of the cab. Love the turbo. Anyone out there running a NA needs to upgrade to a turbo system. The off and on 2 weeks that it took me to do it was well worth it.

I guess I should change my signature.

damedic

Is That Black Smoke
Reaction score
Good morning, :D

I too am in this position of ???, so if possible, would like to enter discussion.

I bought a set of gauges (AutoMeter: Pyro, Trans Temp, & Boost) a while back now, needed to install them for a while now, and especially now after replacing my injectors. (As I've been told, Need to know what's happening 1st, for proper IP Timing & Fuel Screw adjustment)
Now I think I might need to to just 'git er done!'

I purchased a Banks Down Pipe, (I replaced it the same weekend as my injectors) and it looks like there is a 1/4" (?) plug. Is it accurate enough to place the temp probe there?

If there is a difference in temps between manifold and DP, how much?

Thanks to all. And have a great weekend :Thumbs Up

Last edited:

ve290

Reaction score
After the turbo will be a few hundred degrees cooler. I welded a lugnut (works great as a bung) to my crossover pipe about an inch away from the drivers side exhaust manifold, I think that makes for a pretty accurate location. I also have the Banks DP with the bung on it. I dont have two pyros to do a direct comparison, but I did have my probe in that location for awhile and never saw temps above 700*. I see 1000* sometimes with my probe in the crossover pipe.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score

what ii want to know is how that valve cover is so mint!!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what ii want to know is how that valve cover is so mint!!

That valve cover is mint because I made it that way. When I replaced the gaskets, I cleaned them inside and out. Primed and painted the outside with several coats of high heat engine paint. Over several hours and then let it cure. Took a while, but it's worth it to me. Easier to do when I have another truck and can afford to let this one sit a while to get it just like I want it.

If i take it apart...I clean and paint if necessary before I put it back on.

I will tell you about the pyro probe. It took me all of 5 minutes to drill that spot out. My dewalt drill with the proper drill for the tap fit right in there without removing anything else. Tapped it out quick and screwed in the sensor.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what exact color and brand? When my engine comes out I am replacing all gaskets and will be painting it too.

I have Caterpillar enamel paint, they claim its good for engines too.. Id imagine an industrial enamel is better quality than something from home depot.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duplicolor high heat engine paint. Ford grey. Prep and prime are more important than actual paint. As Al puts it, "surgically clean".

Lots of coats too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online