putting psd in a 93

coryfast

Reaction score
I currently have a 93 idi and have been thinking about putting the banks turbo on it but last week i came across a 97 psd for 2500 it has no bed or fenders and the auto tranny i was considering swapping the old idi for the psd and wondering if anyone knows what of any problems i may run into with doing this i would like to keep my 5sp but i dont know if it will bolt up if or should i go with the automatic that i will get in the psd also the psd has no title not sure why supposidly some divorce deal that is why i was going to put it in my 93 so i dont have to mess with trying to get a title. the psd does come with all the wiring also is that going to cause a problem with running a 5sp since all the wiring is for a auto.

thanks

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as both trucks have A?C or both are non A/C you will be good to go.if both interiors are the same color thats even better.you will need to remove the dashes to swap the wireing.if the interiors are the same color just swap the dashes.you will also need to swap the wireing under the hood includeing the headlight harness as its all one harness for under the hood.your 5 speed will bolt to the PSD but you will need the PSD flywheel and clutch for it.you will also need all the accesories and brackets from the PSD.you will need to reroute both the feed and return fuel lines to the drivers side near the steering box,you may be able to use the lines from the PSD truck.

do your self a favor while the engine is out,get the 3"downpipe and beat the snot out of the lip on the passengers side of the firewall.its alot easier to do this with no motor in the truck.

i just did a gas to IDI swap and had to swap the dash harnesses.i may be able to get some pictures of some of the bolt/screw locations if you need it.its not hard to do,just gotta find all the bolts and screws that hold the dash on.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the '97 frame, cab and interior were decent I'd prolly just take out the windshields and swap the VIN tags. Then put on the '93 front clip and bed and paint it to match if necessary.;Really

Swapping Autos for manual trannies is easy especially when you already have a doner vehicle

BTW....when you're done you'll have to change your screen name to 93_Stroker............Welcome to the darkside;Sweet

coryfast

Reaction score
thanks for the input i would just do the change of vin but the psd is a extended cab. Got alot of work ahead to do but it will be worth it. Unfortuanetly wont be able to start the swap till this summer but i probally do a frame up restoration and have me a new truck but no payments.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
does anything on the title say excab? if not it may not matter? i'd swap the vin and let them try and figure it out? its not like you are trying to scam some one you just want to have a good truck with little money!! A frame up would be cool but i would still like thge Ex-cab!!:love:

and if you have anything let over let me know i could use some parts!!!!

coryfast

Reaction score
i have a regular cab long box and the psd is a ext cab long box and i dont want a long wheelbase i got a 01 ext cab cummins so im gonna use it for work on the farm and make the ford in to my toy and i cant stand having a dodge run better than a ford so that is why im gonna upgrade to the psd

coryfast

Reaction score
i was wondering whether you guys would recommend staying with my 5sp or going to the automatic that comes with the psd also i was wanting to get the psd up on the hp and wondering what upgrades i should do and i would like to keep decent mileage also so not sure where to start. Talked to the guy about buying the psd and i got his offer down to 2k for the truck and can get the bed for 400 not sure what the guy is thinking he was trying to sell truck for 1500 two weeks ago so im gonna try and get him back down to that price so i can add more goodies when i do the install.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I would use the automatic. Send it to a good tranny shop get the upgrades. Torque converter,clutches, valve body and pump mods will make a big differance.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which tranny to use will have to be your decision on personnal prefference. The E4OD can be built into a nearly bullet proof solution if you want too.

Me I was always a big fan of bolt action trannies and the control I could get out of them by feathering the clutch when getting into slick stuff and hairy situations but degenerative disabilities are turning my favor to slush boxes as I get older

coryfast

Reaction score
i like having the 5sp but get tired of shifting so that is why i am considering the auto i just didnt know if there was many problems with the auto but it sounds like a guy can build one that will last. where should i start on getting the hp gains would like to get around 350 or up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guages first!!!

3" down pipe,4"exhaust,tymar or a DIY tymar airfilter,chip and stage1 injectors from www.beansdieselperformance.com and you should be around 350HP.could also go to a stage 2 injector instead.some have been happier with stage 2s and some wish they would have gotten the 2s instead of the stage 1s.

coryfast

Reaction score
i was thinking about going with the stage 2, chip, exhaust upgrade and of course gauges if i go this way will i need to upgrade the hpop system i not sure how long will get off work and be home to do the swap. so i need to get everything i would need so im not tracking crap down later.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hpop is a yes and no question.it depends on what you wanna do with it.if you just gonna play around once in a while:no.if your gonna play with it all the time then yes.but a minimum uprade would be the ****** HPOP from a 99-up superduty.they can be found on ebay from time to time.i think BDP may also sell them.only thing that will happen if you dont upgrade the HPOP is when you get on hard it will set the check engine light for code P1211,high pressure oil above/below desired.nothing to worry about,the light will go out on its own in a minute or 2 or when you shut the truck off and restart it.

coryfast

Reaction score
Rich
you said the hpop would be a minimum upgrade and since i would be using it quite often should i go with the hpop stealth kit

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you plan on useing it for?towing,raceing or just a toy to play with the boys around town?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online