Putting engine back in...turbo procedure?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to stuff the engine back in to my '92. It came out without a turbo, but it's going back in with an ATS non wastegated turbo setup.

What is going to be the best way to go about this since I don't have a visual reference to work from.
This is the older style ATS with the long housing on the exhaust side and slip fit Y/up pipe.
Front radiator support is off and engine is going , for the most part, straight in.

A.) attach turbo and y/up pipe to engine and stuff it in.

B.) Attach Y/up pipe to exhaust manifold, leave turbo of until engine in , then beat it down onto the Y/up pipe.

C.) Leave turbo and Y/up pipe off until engine in, then wiggle turbo and Y/up pipe down in one piece.

D.) None of the above.

Of course, creative language and malt beverage consumption are considered optional for all methods :cheers: :D

Thanks----------Robert

SKimballC

Reaction score
Hmm. Well, having done the opposite and pulled an engine with a turbo like this on it out of a 4wd truck with a 2" lift, -cuss I'd have to say that A is the only possible option you listed.
Option B- You don't want to try messing with mounting the turbo onto the pedestal AND the y-pipe. Besides, the y-pipe is too easy to put on once the engine's in.
As for C, there's no way that the turbo and Y/up pipe will go down in one piece behind the engine. If you put it in before the motor mounts are in it will be in your way.
You have a chance with A, but it might be too tight. Won't know til you try. You'll probably have to jimmy the snot out of it to get it to clear the top of the turbo at the back AND get the motor mounts in.
I'd try it with the turbo mounted on the engine but be ready to pull it back out before its even in if it don't wanna fit.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
This is how I put my engines in with a non wastegated ATS turbo.I put the pedistool on the engine then install the engine,after the engine is in place I mount the turbo to the pedistool.Many seem to dissagree with me but I take the motor mounts off when I put the engine in and after the rear of the engine is all bolted up and complete I lift the engine and slide in the mounts.It is not as hard as it looks to put the mounts in after the engine is in place,and it sure makes it easyt to line up the bell housing,get at the top bell housing bolts ,oil pressure sensor,complete turbo install then put the mopunts back in.Just mark left and right mounts.once you have the right wrenches figured out the mounts go in in minutes. My 2 bits.

Attachments

• DCP_0008.JPG
    DCP_0008.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DCP_0015.JPG
    DCP_0015.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 14

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is how I put my engines in with a non wastegated ATS turbo.I put the pedistool on the engine then install the engine,after the engine is in place I mount the turbo to the pedistool.Many seem to dissagree with me but I take the motor mounts off when I put the engine in and after the rear of the engine is all bolted up and complete I lift the engine and slide in the mounts.It is not as hard as it looks to put the mounts in after the engine is in place,and it sure makes it easyt to line up the bell housing,get at the top bell housing bolts ,oil pressure sensor,complete turbo install then put the mopunts back in.Just mark left and right mounts.once you have the right wrenches figured out the mounts go in in minutes. My 2 bits.

I looked at doing the motor mount seperation on the way out, but there was just too much crud on the bolt heads to get a wrench on them :D It does look like things would slide in easier that way. won't have to come in from so high to line up.

As far as stuffing it turbo off, would you leave the up pipe attached to the turbo housing and wiggle the works down in there or?

-----Robert

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I usually mount the pedistool prior to installing the engine-then I install the engine -tighten up my bellhousing bolts (especially the upper ones) -oil pressure sender -all stuff on upper rear of engine-then mount the turbo(without up pipe).Next put on up pipe from underneath and then install mounts as conveinent. It is so much easier to line up the bell housing with out the motor mounts.(because the engine will set very low without the mounts)The last time I did it I had the bell housing lined up and bolts started in less then 5 minutes from when the motor was lowered.I know it looks like a hard job but if you select the wrenches B4 ypou put the engine in, the mounts dont take but a few minutes.I did several keeping the mounts on the engine and cussed every time the bolt heads scraped along the crossmember while I was trying to line up the bell housing.(tha extra couple inches are a blessing)Never again.!!
The 2 nuts that mount the turbo to the pedistal are still the buggers with my big fingers I dread them,but once they are started they aren't that bad.Make sure the pedistool threads are clean,so the nuts go on easy by hand. If the hoist gets in the way while you are working on the rear of the engine you can even slip a block of wood where the mounts go and rest the engine there without the chains being in the way,once the bell housing bolts are in.Or even rest the oil pan on the crossmember to gain even more working room.

Last edited:

SKimballC

Reaction score
As far as stuffing it turbo off, would you leave the up pipe attached to the turbo housing and wiggle the works down in there or?

-----Robert

Not gonna happen. No room for that.

When I pulled the motor I had to pull the motor mounts out first to make room, and it would seem to help in reverse especially if the turbo is on the engine.
As for as those 2 nuts that hold the turbo to the pedestal, I've had to lift the turbo up to get the nut on the front started on the stud because the casting of the pedestal interferes. The rear one isn't bad at all, though I have skinny fingers, and I can get my hand back there before my fat forearms get me stuck.-cuss