Push Starting a 6.9idi

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Don't go too fast in a lower gear.you may force it to rev higher than safe

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I am not sure if you are familiar with a Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) but it is a solar ray that can fry all computers/electronics my question is during a EMP could you push start it? Or does the 6.9idi have electronics that could fry?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The IDI is all mechanical. Aside from the Fuel Shutoff Solonoid. If an EMP isn't strong enough to wipe the batteries then it shouldn't affect the FSS. Your dash gauges would be toast though along with at least the cruise control module if you have one. I don't think an EMP would affect the starter circuit though.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
did anyone ever delve into the "zombie apocalypse mod" and come up with a fully mechanical FSS/valve? :rotflmao
that one was talked about a bit ago..... 2..... maybe 3 years ago.......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think all we probably need to do is remove the injection pump return line check valve. If I recall correctly the fuel shut off valve holds this check valve open when it is activated. When the power is cut to it the valve closes and the pump locks up with fuel pressure and stops the flow thru it. that is kind of a simple way of saying it too. Then really all we would need is a hill to stop the engine on and when we wanted to drive off just roll down the hill and bump start it. Once again a very simple "idea" of a zombie ready engine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI civil war will come before your supposed N1H1 virus.
if you disagree then youre brain dead, and im completely wrong.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PT pumps on the small and big cam Cummins engines in big trucks have a knob you can turn.this will allow the engine to run with out any electricity!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think all we probably need to do is remove the injection pump return line check valve. If I recall correctly the fuel shut off valve holds this check valve open when it is activated. When the power is cut to it the valve closes and the pump locks up with fuel pressure and stops the flow thru it. that is kind of a simple way of saying it too. Then really all we would need is a hill to stop the engine on and when we wanted to drive off just roll down the hill and bump start it. Once again a very simple "idea" of a zombie ready engine.

If you remove the IP check valve it can drain the fuel return on the drivers side to tank, specially if the duck bill is missing in the tank. The FSS has nothing to do with the check valve. The check valve is opened by fuel pressure with in the IP. 1st pic is the cap parts, next two pic's is the check valve.

When the FSS is energized it opens the fuel shut off valve in the top of the IP. In the 4th pic, notice where the FSS arm has to be to shut the fuel off when the solenoid is de-energized or let it open when the solenoid is energized.

Attachments

• IPCHECKVALVE.jpg
    IPCHECKVALVE.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    IP CHECK VALVE 2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IDI-IP W-TS.jpg
    IDI-IP W-TS.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 161.jpg
    161.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would EMP affect electromechanicals like a starter motor or the FSV?

You could just keep a spare starter around.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with push starting is, you need another vehicle big enough to push it, which kinda defeats the purpose after the SHTF. Unless you have quite a few large buddies, or a convenient location at/near the top of a hill.