Purchasing a scanner VS. a programmer

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this seems like a dumb comparison, but I was wondering how well the diagnostic code-reading features of an Edge Programmer work with a '97 PSD? Anywhere near as good as a scanner? I can't really purchase both.

It might be neat to have a programmer, but maybe a scanner is a better investment?

Any Auto Enginuity owners care to fill me in on ballpark total cost? Can you save money by just buying the Ford software and then add-on at a later date?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't compare the two, I know nothing about the Edge, If/when you would get the AE, you have to buy the Ford Enhanced soft ware to use the with AE interface. Ford codes are proprietary. If you get a SES on your 97, you can read that code by the KOEO method. Don't know what the AE cost is now, have to check with them.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the AE you can read any DTC, HPOP pressure, Fuel pressure, do an injector BUZZ Test, an injector Continuity Test, those two checks, check out the IDM when doing those tests, Alternator voltage output and some others I can't remember at the moment. Of course you have to use a PC computer or Laptop to do that. I haven't used mine all that much, ain't had no trouble yet. Knock on wood. I can actually do some tests with my ScangaugeII. I've diagnosed a couple of other PSD's for local guys.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is some info on the Edge from a guy on the TDS. He has a 2001 PSD.
I recently purchased the Edge Evolution CS and got rid of my old Edge EZ module. I'm not going to try and push the CS onto anyone, or steer anyone away from it either, or even really discuss it in this thread, but I like it a lot. It plugs into the diagnostic port and from there you can program your truck (towing, race or extreme, or stock), and then remove it, or you can just leave it plugged in all the time and it constantly monitors lots of things, and acts as a code reader also...which is the main reason I bought it.

One of the items it monitors is TRANS TEMP. This winter, my trans temp gauge from diesel manor hasn't even moved much and was wondering if it had maybe gone defective. The gauge doesn't start until 100 degrees and I suspected that maybe with the cold weather (I don't tow anything in winter) the trans temp wasn't even reaching 100. The Edge CS confirmed this to me as I can watch the temperature rise from whatever the ambient is (20, 25, 30, etc.) to up around and over 100 on the CS before my other old gauge starts to move and compare the two readings side by side. However, I noticed that the reading from the Edge CS gets up to about 120 or so before the needle on my other gauge starts to move at all and in driving it more recently and actually getting my trans temp clear up to 140 or so (according to the CS reading), I've noticed that the Edge CS reading is CONSTANTLY 15 to 20 degrees HIGHER than my old manual gauge reading...so now I'm wondering which one is correct, or if they are BOTH correct as maybe they get their info from different places? I know the test port is likely the true transmission temp as it's plugged right into the trans, but I have no idea where the Edge CS gets it's reading from thru the diagnostic port that is is plugged into under the dash? Anyone have any input on this?

As a sidenote, the other really cool thing the CS has, is a transmission position indicator, as well as a torque converter lockup indicator. This was kind of eye opening to me as I always percieved 5 gear positions (1, 2, 3, 4 and TCL), but in reality the transmission is really upshifting 1, 2, 3, TCL and then 4. Seems that the TCL stays in as it shifts to 4th. I used to think that the final "shift" was the Torque converter locking up. It's not.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the Edge can read and CLEAR DTC's as well as a decent scanner? And if it can be swapped between makes/models? (supported applications of course)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I know nothing about them. You would have to check with who ever makes them to answer your questions.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Edge should be able to check codes on other vehicles.

But edges are junk for powerstrokes.

I would get something that can do buzz test/ balance tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, why are they junk for powerstrokes? And what would be a better programmer? Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
They just aren't as good.
Look into like the tw chips.

I can give you a pretty extensive list if you want.

But basically avoid banks, hyper tech, them sort of tuners. If you can buy it at local parts stores, avoid if.
Many people have even fried pcms with them. Most won't do anything for auto trans either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance