Just got a 1997 PSD ... A few questions

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completely new to the PSD...
I got this truck as a work truck, not to play with, but I plan on using it to its full potential.

It is a 97 F350 Cab-chassis DRW Dump with a newer reman E4OD and manual 4x4 and 117xxx Miles

Seems like the AutoEnginuity scanner is the preferred scan tool for the OBS PSD... Is this a current product they are making or an older unit? Or current product set up to read the older codes?

I am thinking about getting an Edge Evolution CTS, not for making black smoke on command, but for gauge/monitoring purposes - The EGT probe is sold separately... Does it get the rest from the PCM? Even Boost?
As far as reading error codes, will this actually save me having to also purchase a scanner to find out what's going on?

Also:
Should I switch this thing over to Synthetic Motor Oil, or just stick with Rotella?

Will the computer go crazy if I chop the exhaust off before the cat? Bad Idea? I would be planning on adding upgraded exhaust within the next year, but the Stock exhaust, cat, and muffler seem very restrictive. And I can barely hear the turbo at all..... Bad idea to run around with the exhaust chopped off below the cab? I guess I could pay to have the cat cut out and a piece of pipe put in its place, for now.....

I will add more questions as they pop into my head...

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
AutoEnginuity is hands-down, the best scanner. It will read every code you have and diagnose all your on-board systems. You don't need to do the annual fee, if you don't plan on using factory support. I have a slightly older version, and it works just fine. You just need to get the software, reader/OBD2 hookup, and the Ford expanded package.

Don't mess with your exhaust. The turbo's on these things aren't very loud to begin with. And the cat isn't anywhere near as restrictive as you think it is. Best upgrade you can do for yourself is get a good 3" downpipe to replace the crushed factory one, and do a 6637 mod for the intake. Then, you'll hear the turbo a little more. But the stock turbo on an OBS isn't very powerful anyway, and doesn't really kick in until around 2500 rpms (at least that's where mine does).

I don't like Rotella. I use the Valvoline diesel oil.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

What about getting a programmer instead of a scanner, I was looking at the Edge Evolution CTS which claims to also read codes. Not as good as a scanner?
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=124&pvk=347
I wonder how well this thing really works with an OBS, across the board I mean..

I think it still has the stock air intake setup. Is the 6637 just a bigger intake/filter, or what?

How much of a PITA is it to replace the downpipe? I assume the turbo would be coming off?

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can go synthetic if you like. It does make winter starting easier. I run 5-40 Rottella year round with no issues.

As for the exhaust. The PCM will not know if you removed the entire thing. Personally I would toss the entire system. Plenty of aftermarket support here. You have a lot of choices. :D

Another thing to add if its not done yet. Transmission temp gauge. This is a must for your E4OD.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
The 6637 intake mod is a filter with part # 6637, a 45* 4 inch piece of tubing, and a clamp. That simple.
And your PCM might not know that the exhaust is gone, but the lack of exhaust back pressure will certainly let you know it's not there. The turbo can only do so much for back pressure.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go synthetic if you like. It does make winter starting easier. I run 5-40 Rottella year round with no issues.

As for the exhaust. The PCM will not know if you removed the entire thing. Personally I would toss the entire system. Plenty of aftermarket support here. You have a lot of choices. :D

Another thing to add if its not done yet. Transmission temp gauge. This is a must for your E4OD.

Yeah, I was just wondering if the synthetic was worth it for this motor. I know you have to keep the oil clean in the PSD. Would I still have to change the oil every 3000 miles with a Full Synthetic?

As for the exhaust - I have read it will wake it up quite a bit to toss the stock system, but can I drive around with it for awhile chopped off pre-cat until I have the cash for the aftermarket downpipe & exhaust? I know a couple guys with 2nd gen. Cummins that have just left it chopped like that...

And the tranny temp gauge - should I just get a pan with a spot for a sensor? I wonder if I can get a sensor that will talk to that Edge Programmer and "save" on gauges/clutter ?

I am a completely new to the E4OD (as well as the PSD). The reason I was OK with it is because it has been replaced with a reman E4OD "a couple" years ago. I figure I'll try to learn how to take care of it, and try make it last for as long as possible. (I do have a 4x4 zf5 sitting in the garage)

Last edited:

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6637 intake mod is a filter with part # 6637, a 45* 4 inch piece of tubing, and a clamp. That simple.
And your PCM might not know that the exhaust is gone, but the lack of exhaust back pressure will certainly let you know it's not there. The turbo can only do so much for back pressure.

Do you know of any pictures or write-ups on this intake mod? Does it replace the whole stock intake system, or just mod the stock system to get more air flow?

OK, what's the deal with back pressure, is this why the high-performance exhaust have the high-flow muffler instead of just straight-piped?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Do you know of any pictures or write-ups on this intake mod? Does it replace the whole stock intake system, or just mod the stock system to get more air flow?

OK, what's the deal with back pressure, is this why the high-performance exhaust have the high-flow muffler instead of just straight-piped?

Back pressure keeps the exhaust from being sucked out of the cylinders and cooling them before the intake stroke rather than being pushed out by the piston like it's supposed to be. That makes the ambient air inside the cylinder cooler than it's supposed to be, and thus you have a colder cylinder on the combustion stroke. Cold cylinders on combustion = misfires every time.

And the 6637 mod just modifies the air box. The rubber/plastic intake tube connected to the turbo stays, and the air box comes out. The 45* goes from the rubber tube into the new filter and clamps down. You can secure it however you want, or don't secure it at all. It makes little difference on that part.

There's a lot of good pictures and different ways to do it here: http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67408

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On my 6637, I used a straight piece of pipe. IMO a 45° would be too much. Maybe a 22.5°. I also drilled a hole in the top of the filter for the air temp sensor.
I personally want the AIS intake, which is far better than the 6637, but it was free, so 6637 it is.

I agree with everything above, cept the whole back pressure thing.
These engines aren't that loud, unless you're really working it. I ran around with just the downpipe for awhile, definitely no lack of power. I thought the point was to get the spent gasses out quickly as possible, that's why a lot of forced induction and high HP engines have valve over lap, where the gasses get pushed out(forced) or sucked out (n/a) by the exhaust.
I for sure agree on the 3" downpipe though.
I don't know about your year, but my 94 had the cat and factory ford straight through muffler.

For oil, I liked the valvoline premium blue.
Last oil change I used the travelers tractor supply diesel oil and Mobil 1 filter, seems to be doing pretty good.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditch the complete exhaust.the only backpressure you want is before the turbo.the best exhaust you can run is absolutely nothing after the turbo.the faster you get the exhaust out of the turbine the cooler your egts eill be,turbo will spool quicker as well.

Stay away from programmers.94.5-97 psds respond better to a custom chip.put real gauges in,do not trust a computerised gauge!!!

Stock turbo is fine for a slightly above stock truck.and will be loud enough with open intake and exhaust.mine is fing annoyingly loud.keep your boost under 26 psi and the turbo will be fine.im pushing 36-40 psi and im on my third stocker.

No matter what anybody or any programmer tells you,you can only squeeze a max of 75HP over stock with stock injectors.

Intercool it!!! Money and time well spent.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just wondering if the synthetic was worth it for this motor. I know you have to keep the oil clean in the PSD. Would I still have to change the oil every 3000 miles with a Full Synthetic?

As for the exhaust - I have read it will wake it up quite a bit to toss the stock system, but can I drive around with it for awhile chopped off pre-cat until I have the cash for the aftermarket downpipe & exhaust? I know a couple guys with 2nd gen. Cummins that have just left it chopped like that...

And the tranny temp gauge - should I just get a pan with a spot for a sensor? I wonder if I can get a sensor that will talk to that Edge Programmer and "save" on gauges/clutter ?

I am a completely new to the E4OD (as well as the PSD). The reason I was OK with it is because it has been replaced with a reman E4OD "a couple" years ago. I figure I'll try to learn how to take care of it, and try make it last for as long as possible. (I do have a 4x4 zf5 sitting in the garage)

Best place for your tranny temp sensor is in the test port. You will find a pipe plug just above the pan rail (Drivers side). Remove this plug and screw in your sensor.

Best thing to do with your E4OD is keep the fluid clean and cool. If the fluid is starting to discolor, change it. If you don't have an aux cooler, it would be wise to add one.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditch the complete exhaust.the only backpressure you want is before the turbo.the best exhaust you can run is absolutely nothing after the turbo.the faster you get the exhaust out of the turbine the cooler your egts eill be,turbo will spool quicker as well.

Stay away from programmers.94.5-97 psds respond better to a custom chip.put real gauges in,do not trust a computerised gauge!!!

Stock turbo is fine for a slightly above stock truck.and will be loud enough with open intake and exhaust.mine is fing annoyingly loud.keep your boost under 26 psi and the turbo will be fine.im pushing 36-40 psi and im on my third stocker.

No matter what anybody or any programmer tells you,you can only squeeze a max of 75HP over stock with stock injectors.

Intercool it!!! Money and time well spent.

The main reason I was looking at a programmer is for their claimed "all-in-one" monitoring/diagnostics and hopefully some fuel efficiency. Not trying to get power gains from the programmer, I know without an upgraded fuel system, etc it's a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Would I just be better off with a scanner and a bunch of gauges? How does a programmer get all these "vital" gauge readings, from the PCM or do you have to run its own sensor for each "vital" like you were putting in real gauges?

This truck is kind of a Pig so far, maybe it's the E4OD, maybe there's something wrong with it, I don't know, but I just wanted to wake it up a bit. For work truck purposes not hot-rodding.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Programer still needs all the same drilling.tapping and adapters as gauges.youl get much more bang for your buck from a custom chip for less money.

Pillar gauges are way cooler looking than a pregnant dash

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go into the tech articles and read the 10k mod.might be all youre looking for since its a dump and you dont plan on any fuel upgrades.costs a dollar

.modded idm will also help,if you dont know how to solder,dont mess with your idm.myself and maybe a couple other guys here can do it for you.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best place for your tranny temp sensor is in the test port. You will find a pipe plug just above the pan rail (Drivers side). Remove this plug and screw in your sensor.

Best thing to do with your E4OD is keep the fluid clean and cool. If the fluid is starting to discolor, change it. If you don't have an aux cooler, it would be wise to add one.

What kind of tranny cooler is appropriate for a dump truck and how hard is it to add one?

So are the factory gauges on this thing just dummy switches like on an IDI? Not through the PCM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online