Pulling the engine tonight, anything I should know?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, the machine shop I use is actually called "The Machine Shop" run by an old guy named Joe. They are off of Orange avenue on Drennon, the number is 407 851 4050.

-Rob

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck had SCA's in it when I got it and I have kept them up. How are the cylinders numbered? right now both back holes are being sleeved and the front pass. side hole.

-Rob

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drivers side from the front #2,4,6,8 pass. side from fron #1, 3, 5, 7. I think the cavitation article lists the most problematic ones. I know sleeving those back 2 is a good idea. It probably will be fine having SCA maintenace then as long as you sleeve any cylinders that are bad now. I just still don't get why someone would bore an engine that much over when its not needed. I mean in almost all cases .020" would do it. But at this point it is what it is. Whoever did it before must have really screwed something up to have it bad again in 5000 miles.

obinella

Reaction score
Yeah the sealed power pistons are hyperteutic. Dave Spounagle says that the OEM Mahle pistons are also hypertuetiuc.

sweeeet! you can probably getum made of wood, but no thanks, not in my diesel engine.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered over the past year or two, cast pistons are pretty standard in old engines and can't hold up to much more than standard use. Hypereutectic pistons have a high silicone content to make them more durable. From what I read metals have a eutectic point, the point at which no more of that metal can easily be added to the alloy. Supposedly silicone has a eutectic point of 12% and hypereutectic pistons have a silicone content of 16%-19% so they must use some process to pack it in there and make a durable piston. They are supposed to be good for street/strip use but not nitrous oxide use. For nitrous us forged pistons are much better.

-I could be wrong, if so someone correct me.

-Rob

obinella

Reaction score
From what I have gathered over the past year or two, cast pistons are pretty standard in old engines and can't hold up to much more than standard use. Hypereutectic pistons have a high silicone content to make them more durable. From what I read metals have a eutectic point, the point at which no more of that metal can easily be added to the alloy. Supposedly silicone has a eutectic point of 12% and hypereutectic pistons have a silicone content of 16%-19% so they must use some process to pack it in there and make a durable piston. They are supposed to be good for street/strip use but not nitrous oxide use. For nitrous us forged pistons are much better.

-I could be wrong, if so someone correct me.

-Rob
you are correct, they do have a high silicone content which makes for a more durable +cast+ piston. I'm not concerned by the method used to (pack) it in there. just the fact that it is a cast piston. which would you suspect stresses a piston more, nitrous in a gasser or diesel? if there even close to a toss up, wouldn't you just naturally default to a forged piston? if he really does have cast pistons in there now, wouldn't you suspect ,that may be one of the factors for the piston failure?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the oil scraper ring failed, not the piston. You have to remember that Dave Spounagle is running 20+ psi boost with hyperteutic pistons from sealed power. The article I read on Wikipedia said that hyperteutics can be cast or forged, but standard ones are cast.

obinella

Reaction score
Home > Aftermarket Solutions > Asia Pacific > Engine Solutions > Pistons >
Sealed Power Pistons

Built With Precision to Deliver Reliable Performance

Sealed Power manufactures replacement pistons with aluminum alloys specially matched to engine performance requirements. These pistons are weight graded within each set, with piston pins selected to fit exactly.

Sealed Power pistons are precision finished and many feature DUROSHIELD® skirt coating, which dramatically reduces friction and related scuffing without the need to adjust wall clearance. The result is an enhanced ring seal, increased horsepower and extended piston life.

Proprietary forging, casting and machining techniques, combined with Sealed Power's dedication to quality control, ensure reliability and service life.

Sealed Power POWERFORGED Pistons
Sealed Power Cast Hypereutectic Pistons
Sealed Power Piston and Ring Sets

obinella

Reaction score
MAHLE Aftermarket news

Pistons

Clevite® engine parts offers both Hypereutectic pistons and forged pistons for high performance engines. Each one has distinct advantages in different applications, but the choice is not always easy.

Clevite hypereutectic aluminum alloy performance pistons can operate ideally with standard ring end gaps, and have conventional ring land locations. These pistons have a high silicon content alloy which contributes to excellent tensile and fatigue strength, improved thermal characteristics, greater hardness, and increased resistance to scuffing. These pistons offer a more quiet operation and cost less than forged pistons, plus they are an excellent choice for street performance and bracket racing. They also work well in moderate supercharged applications.

Clevite's hypereutectic claimer pistons enjoy the matchless properties of hypereutectic aluminum. They are strong, light-weight, thermally efficient, they can run tight piston-to-wall clearances (which improves ring seal and longevity), and they have exceptional wear resistance. These pistons are meant to provide performance at a reasonable price.

Clevite forged performance pistons have long been the mainstay of the performance industry. Forged pistons have advantages when it comes to density, strength, and durability over other piston materials. The forging process eliminates porosity in the metal, improves ductility, and will allow the piston to run cooler than a comparable cast piston. The alloy used in all Clevite forged pistons contains a light silicon content which promotes longer life and increased scuff resistance while still retaining all of the load carrying capabilities and durability advantages of a forged piston. Clevite's forged pistons are made to minimize piston weight without compromising strength making them better able to withstand the high cylinder pressures and skirt loads imposed by race use and can survive limited detonation and piston to valve contact that can occur during a race.

Forged pistons are right for street performance, endurance racing, drag racing, or all out street performance applications. If you plan to run a very high compression ratio (11:1 and over), high boost supercharger, nitrous oxide, or an engine that will be operating under extreme conditions approaching detonation, you will definitely benefit from a forged piston.

i'm done-do what you will

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BE ABSOLUTELY RELIGIOUS in the untorque sequence of your head bolts. it is reverse of the torque sequence. !/4 turn on each bolt. Otherwise you will have cracked heads.

does this comment about how to remove head bolts apply to all diesel heads or just the 6.9/7.3?
i had an old 6.2 that i tore down for parts and i did not remove the heads this way - i just took the bolts off. How could i tell if they are cracked from doing this? Is it really likely that they are cracked?
thanks,
paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is a sure thing, but this wisdom is highly regarded as being the best way to avoid it. Yea, you might get away with some kind of random loosening, but we have documented cases of folks who did NOT follow this advise, and are now running different heads as a result. I'd think it would hold true for most motors. It's more a function of metalurgy and physics than anything.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
does this comment about how to remove head bolts apply to all diesel heads or just the 6.9/7.3?
i had an old 6.2 that i tore down for parts and i did not remove the heads this way - i just took the bolts off. How could i tell if they are cracked from doing this? Is it really likely that they are cracked?
thanks,
paul

Actually Caterpillar originally figured this one out about 30 years ago when they had the 1693 engines that were really popular in D9 dozers and really stout trucks ( like one I had :D that developed a reputation for going a million or more miles as long as you didn't have to take the head off, in which case, it would imidiately crack. After some research, they figured out that anything that had been under that much stress for that long and you all the sudden started popping bolts off with the impact wrench and randomly relieving stress, is what was causing the cracking, so they came up with slowly releasing the tension on the bolts in the reverse of the way they went on, no more cracked heads. Most other diesel manufacturers followed quickly behind.
I've found the same instructions in Volvo diesel manuals and others.

When I bought my used Kenworth in the 80's and I was in buying some engine parts for my Cat , I had a service manager at a Cat dealer take me aside and give me a serious education. He loved selling service and maintnence parts but the guy honestly hated selling senseless repair parts for stupid mistakes.:hail

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online