Pulling engine // advice

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'94 idiT 7.3 crewcab dually project. Engine, tans and transfer case ALL need to come out. I would love to leave the hood on but don't think that will be an option.
Drain and pull the radiator is the first step. I have a tractor with a 1200# pallet forks adapter that will get that done easy enough. After that? I am looking to change up to the Allison 6 speed trans in this process. The engine is still under warranty from New Jersey and that should be covered. if not, I will post back on that outcome separately.
Looking forward to all the replies. Thank you one and all in advance.
Then I get to build a pallet to ship it back.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
59 lookers and no responses.
Cool beans.
I got the rad drained and the hood off, the A/C laid aside.
Left hand threaded fan clutch is off, (Left hand thread means reverse threaded stupid!)
I guess two floor jacks will get a work out soon enough raising that beast. Hmm. Engine out might be a fine time to do the suspension upgrades to Super Duty springs. I hope to get that engine shipped by Thursday after removal and crating. Then get the Allison ordered and wait for it to show up while I redo the transfer case again and look real hard at doing the Dana 60 install.
Glad to have an Milwaukee electric ratchet & small impact. Makes life a lot easier.
5 gallons of coolant out of it is impressive.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
All I remove from the body is the hood. Everything else stays in place. All of the accessories get laid to the side. You may want to tie up the power steering pump with some wire in somewhat of an upright position to prevent the fluid from leaking out. The turbo will have to come off separately. I also never pull the engine and transmission together. I did that once, with my first (wrecked) 85 F250 and I said NEVER AGAIN!!! That was with cutting the radiator support away from the front of the engine. It was too much of a PITA for me to want to mess with again.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C was laid to the side, and the 80 pound radiator is out along with a few other chunks. When Diamond Eye built the exhaust system, I told them I desired a flange on the down pipe to disconnect to pull it with the engine R/R. I don't believe they did it, nor did they weld in the **** for the Pyro. Another project in the future. I have found it is easier to pull the engine with the wiring harness still attached. Uh. . . . head size of the bolts holding the engine and trans together?
I thought about pulling it out as a unit, Not going to do that. With two messed up knees, up and down is a PITA!!! Oh yeah, I also get to remove the transfer case. With the engine off, that might be attached to the trans when I drop that one.
Going back in? OH! That will be a very slow and deliberate process.
Have to call the re-builder on Monday and find out about adding a girdle to the next engine plus the head studs this one already has.
Such fun!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never pulled an IDI so I didn't have much to add.
But if I did I would likely do engine only and trans/t case secondly as you are planning.

Do you have a load leveler? Should make things easier.

Definitely easier to do suspension upgrades with the engine out, and keep us updated on the Allison as I'd like to see that!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have found it is easier to pull the engine with the wiring harness still attached. Uh. . . . head size of the bolts holding the engine and trans together?
Yes it is. One plug and you're done which is why I'm not in favor of just splicing the glow plug wires together to bypass the plug. It's a lot more work to remove and install the wiring harness when you have to thread the whole thing into and out of you injector and return lines. The bellhousing and motor mounts nuts take a 3/4" socket. The good thing about the transfer cases is that they are fairly easy to bench press in and out. If you can remove the radiator, you should be able to R&R the transfer case.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, so much for Saturday. I got the top side done today, the truck pretty well jacked up and the motor mount nuts off. Diamond Eye exhaust system might get in the way. I hope not, but it is NOT tucked up where it should be.
Now I am once again, foolish A** me, looking (long distance) at a PTO of the BW 3156(?) transfer case, especially in light of the truck gaining 4" of road clearance with the suspension mods coming up. The jury is still out on that one currently.
The Allison will bump the tow capacity up to 32,500#. I still have to get that ordered next week.
That is a fair chunk of change and should limit my silliness for awhile.
I still need the Elocker for the Dana 60 though. . . .
Time for a shower and then to bed.
That is enough for today.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's not to much to say because we all have our preferences. I do hood off, load level, core support out, engine and trans together out the front. You'll find your own way you like best. If you run into anything and have a specific question let us know and smooth pulling to ya.
You must be registered for see images attach

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea there is more than one way to skin a cat, grab a sharp object preferably and get to work.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You forgot to mention that your fenders are off as well.
Obviously the fenders are off in the picture but I don't recall it being needed. If all the bolts are out except the one that goes through to the door I believe they flex enough to pull the core support out.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True enough but currently I still have the A/C system intact. A needed item when the wife gets in after this current expenditure and it is working without the need of servicing. Today being Sunday is a good day to rest and perhaps later on, I will go out and lube the exhaust studs and let them soak for the night. Fun part for me will be the turbo pipes. I believe Diamond Eye ran a connection at the back of the turbo, somehow someway. It might be fun to see what they accomplished.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never removed the hood on mine. All I did was remove the springs which allows the hood to open farther and propped it up. I also took the radiator out and the front wheels off so I could get the front end lower. I lifted the engine up and over the core support without any issues.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I missed that detail. I did however grab a fine tipped black marker and draw lines over the hinge positions. Whit touch up paint in the future will be coming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.