Pulling engine // advice

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, today was pulling out the bottom parafinelia. I got the wife out to hand me tools and laugh at the appropriate times. Just before I quit I got the trans/transfer case pulled back about an inch from the engine. The top bolt on the starter is still holding the starter to the engine. I will be trying to pull it out tomorrow quite possibly with the tractor and the pallet fork attachment. I did manage to cut a piece of plywood to fit over the A/C condenser and hope to eliminate the chance of damage while pulling the engine.
I will be going to harbor junk to get a trans jack to install the Allison. The thought of trying to balance that on a floor jack is just not appealing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I will be going to harbor junk to get a trans jack to install the Allison. The thought of trying to balance that on a floor jack is just not appealing.
I think that you've made the right choice there. While I've done it several times, I no longer like the idea of using a floor jack to remove or install a transmission.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. The thought of balancing it along with installation is not a pleasant idea.
I get to run off this morning and do a few other things not quite planned and then this afternoon I should be pulling it out. A few weeks to send it back and get it re-done and then put it all back together and see what 2 more gears gets me. I suspect the power band will be a lot more agreeable with road speed. A 32,500# towing capacity would be nice, but. . .something that weighs 30,000# behind an 8,000 pound truck? Might be good for, say. . . 10 MPH, but at 60 mph?
I can bet the cops would have fun with me towing my 21,000 pound Cat D4d on top of a 4,000 pound trailer going down the road. Yeah, not going to happen in this area. Not to mention getting it down off the hill I live on.
Then why add the Allison? Because that E4OD can't stand coming up my hill over 20 MPH is 2nd gear and the lack of grunt power off the line under load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online