pulled the wrong bolt and broke my 4 speed

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulled the wrong bolt and broke my 4 speed T19 - exterior bolt

Went to check the manual trans fluid and took out the bolt on the opposite side(driver side) of the fill plug. cookoo

as the bolt came out it got harder to turn and it felt like treads were being stripped(it was actually the pin that holds the bot to the arm), when it came out I heard something drop into the trans.

opened up the side and top of the trans and can see the arm thats loose-
will probably be able to magnet out the broken cotter pin-

? can i just replace the pin and act like it never happened?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dropped a pin in the tranny when I was pulling mine as well. I gave it a good half hour with a magnet, never got it. I had the tranny out so I just flipped it over and shock it a bit, and it came out. I had the top off, where the shifter attaches. It was the shifter arm pin that fell out on mine. Dont know what to tell you, except your going to have a fun time.

hostile77u77

Reaction score
My boss at work was saying he has done the same thing. Turns out he just messed with it till he got it all lined back up and it worked fine but talking to others I understand this is an exception so its worth a shot. Good Luck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My boss at work was saying he has done the same thing. Turns out he just replace the pin and it worked fine but talking to others I understand this is an exception so its worth a shot. Good Luck

I dont know, I could see hitting a real good bump just enough to launch that pin right into the gears in there...

hostile77u77

Reaction score
Possibly..... IDK.... I just know what he says I don't mess too much with transmissions. I hope he figures it out. I would think your on the right track a good hard bump or turn it upside down would work.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will put a real strong magnet on the bottom of the trans if I can fish it out or not- do they make a magnetized drain plug for these?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should have a magnet in it. You need to remove the top and lift the reverse lever up and screw the pivot back in, there can be a cotter pin in it or a circlip, it is not that hard to do in the truck
If it looks like a bolt, it isnt an oil plug.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should have a magnet in it. You need to remove the top and lift the reverse lever up and screw the pivot back in, there can be a cotter pin in it or a circlip, it is not that hard to do in the truck
If it looks like a bolt, it isnt an oil plug.

is it just that easy, if I dont get the broken cotter pin or circlip will it create a problem?

I am happy with my truck and this is making me nervous- to show that I'm grateful for what I have, and am planning to wash my truck(for the first time)
Thanks

jwy

Reaction score
When I read the title on this, I started smiling. I did the exact same thing a few years ago and posted almost the exact same words on the old forum. Your tranny is a top loader, so you will need to either drop it or peel back the carpet and there is a section of the tranny hump in the floor of your pickup that comes up, then you can open up the tranny, fish out the clip with a extendo-magnet thingy, get a new clip, put the lever back in place with the new clip and then close everything up. It isn't to bad really, I think I ran by the dealer to get them to print out a diagram and then got the part from the local parts store. 2-3 dollars. Good luck. If your not real familiar with the tranny, this will help you learn.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I read the title on this, I started smiling. I did the exact same thing a few years ago and posted almost the exact same words on the old forum. Your tranny is a top loader, so you will need to either drop it or peel back the carpet and there is a section of the tranny hump in the floor of your pickup that comes up, then you can open up the tranny, fish out the clip with a extendo-magnet thingy, get a new clip, put the lever back in place with the new clip and then close everything up. It isn't to bad really, I think I ran by the dealer to get them to print out a diagram and then got the part from the local parts store. 2-3 dollars. Good luck. If your not real familiar with the tranny, this will help you learn.

Thats just what i did and its working like before the mess up. I fished out 2 E clips and there were a couple of teeth end from some gears(from another cause) replaced the e clips and its ok
Access was real good from the top and there are two side plates.
Thank You