PTO

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, school me about PTO. What is it? What can I do with it? Any really cool uses? :thanks:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Power Take Off... Just like the back of a tractor, I have seen winches, hydraulic pumps, air compressors, and bed lifts run by them on trucks, basically anything that uses rotation to power it.
All of that said, I have never seen a ZF5 with a PTO accessory on it, just the block off plates.

O and you can get a transmission cooler for your ZF that uses one of your PTO covers.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our fire engine uses a PTO for our generator. Its a hydraulic generator ran off of the PTO and can actually be engaged up to 20mph.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could use it for a bumper mounted blender and make big smoothies
but thats a hippie thing if you want that you problly dont have a diesel

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Hmm, good idea Tom, I like smoothies.

Sorry, I'm fat...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sky is the limit for the the possibilities of what you and your truck can do. that is.....as long as your wallet is bottomless and your credit card has a unlimited credit line.:eek:
my towtrucks are all hydraulic PTO driven. I also own some really neat hydraulic goodies thanks to years of salvaging fire equipment and local utility equipment. On the fire side, a "jaws of life" gadget makes for quick car dismantling, and on the utility side, a hydraulic driven saw will cut through just about anything before the sawblade fries.:D

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Anybody who has their own jaws of life is just a badass. Therefore, you're a badass Towcat.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
where can I get a trans cooler for mine?

Just do a web search for PTO cover cooler, theres a number of places that make them some with filters some without some come in pairs some individually. They are aluminum finned jobs that add about a qt capacity to the box and have a drain plug that makes a nice spot to mount a temp gauge sender.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PTO on the ZF5 in the old tow truck drives a hydraulic pump which is used for the bed, wheel lift and of course the winch. The new truck is similar but a 6sp is the only difference.

My PTO that I currently have is a direct shaft drive from a NP205 transfer case to an 8000LB winch.

If I could, I would stick a PTO on the ZF in the Bronco!

I would personally prefer it set up hydraulically rather than shaft drive so I can have power in and power out!. Slow as hell these PTO/Hydraulic worm gear winches, but pull they can pull the ***** out compared to a POS electric!

http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5&pos=0 this looks like a neat setup. Not sure it's usefull for offroading but eh...if price is good...*** right!