PSD swap questions... planning stage

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Couple of questions to make sure my research isn't flawed yet... I'm planning on doing a PSD swap into my '87 F350.

1. If I can find a donor OBS truck, I can gut it for the entire wiring harness and interior / dash and I can put the 7.3 PSD in?
2. Any generation 7.3 PSD will work as long as I have the OBS wiring harness?
3. I need OBS interior specific parts like the full dash, throttle pedal sensor, fuel tank selector, and fuel tank sending units to make this work?
4. Anybody have a donor truck they'd like to get rid of? :D

Sorry if these seem like noob questions... this will be my first real venture into the PSD world. The main reason for this is because the fiancee wants to keep the truck, but the 6.9 is starting to worry me on it's reliability due to the previous owner's maintenance habits and general neglect of the truck.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Start looking on ebay for a rotted out donor in the north, god know there are enough up here

I was hoping you'd chime in. Unfortunately, going anywhere outside of Florida (at the moment) isn't in the cards. I'm wanting to do this over a week of "vacation" from my military training in April, and can't leave the '87 out of service when I leave. If I start the swap, I have to finish it and make the truck run before I get back to work. I do have almost an entire month of free time to pick up parts or tear apart a donor though while I'm still "working".

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 f-250 4x4 sittn here that would be a perfect doner. And I may be persuaded to bring it south too. PM me for details if your interested>

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I have a 97 f-250 4x4 sittn here that would be a perfect doner. And I may be persuaded to bring it south too. PM me for details if your interested>

PM sent.

And as a follow on question for everyone... am I at least mostly right about my questions and where my research is leading me?

sassyrel

Reaction score
first thing,,are the entry holes thru the firewall,,the same size and location off of a powerstroke??? the dash is where its going to get interesting. i believe,someone said, they adapted a later dash into the older truck,but i dont rememeber what the diff was.....you got your work cut out,,and it wont be 5 hour days.................:D:D:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No the brick nose has different locations and different holes in the firewall. You would be wise to cut out the 87 firewall and use the 92-97 firewall. You will also need to weld new tabs on for the different dash board.

and i say good luck doing the swap in just one week

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Ok, cutting and welding isn't a big deal for me; I'm decent enough at fab work that I'm sure I could figure it out. Whats the best way to cut out the firewall? And I suppose that when I get both trucks torn completely apart, and I'm looking at the bare interior, I'd be able to tell which tabs to cut out and relocate?

The week I have available to me is going to be a sun-up to sun-down and more of free time to work. I can put at least 14-16 hours a day into this swap. The biggest thing of mine when I do this much work is having to run back and forth to the parts store; it really eats up my time. That's why I want to know everything in advance what I should expect and what I'll need; If I cut my parts store runs down to a minimum, that will help me get the swap done faster. I really think that optimistically, I could have both trucks torn apart down to nothing in 2 days, and that gives me 5 to put everything back together. I should be able to do it... :eek: :backoff

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
the 94-97 strokes are gonna be the easiest for this swap. The dash is gonna flat out suck, Anything is can be done with time, money, and the right (or big enough) tools. I would swap the dog house off the 94-97 over onto the 87 body and then fab in the dash. That wil be the most straight forward way of doing it.

The 94-97 has a mechanical fuel pump in the valley and you will be able to use the existing fuel feed, fuel return, and fuel tanks. the engine mounts mount to plates on the engine cradle. be sure to keep those from the donor truck.

good luck

punk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Out of curiosity for upgrades, since this engine will be coming straight out of another truck, what are the best to go with and something to do while it's easy access? I plan on upgrading to the newer UVC harnesses, and installing glow plugs, but if I'm not sure of the injectors, what should I look for? Any specific code better than any others? Or any to avoid?

I know the HPOP from 99.5 is an upgrade, what about doing the turbo? Where would I start to look into doing that swap? I hear the pedestals and up-pipes are different than the OBS style engines? Any wiring differences with them? And are head studs worth getting if I don't plan on trying to blow this thing up?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score