Proud new owner of a T444E, any suggestions?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I purchased a 96 IH 4700 w/T444E (Powerstroke?). Was wondering what performance mods are available for it? I also have a 2000 F-350 w/ 7.3 and a really jacked up computer and if you can keep enough spare parts on hand it will really do the deal. This truck weighs 17,000lb w/ me in it and will still pull a 36' 5th wheel @ 94mph with no problem, if you have the courage to drive that fast. I am hoping to upgrade the electronics on the "cornbinder" comparably. Any help greatly appreciated. Also feel free to ask me all the CAT diesel tech questions and I will find answers if I dont know them. Thanks!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is a powerstroke but unfortunately as far as i know there is no performance mods for it due to it being in an IH truck and not in a ford.but i could be wrong,wouldnt be the first time.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Double S Diesel has a plug n play box good for 30-40 hp.
also opening up the exhaust will help.
too bad Bill isnt programming chips any more, he set us up with a kick ass one for a 4700 series a few years ago.
Nick

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
You may want to give Jody Tipton or Tony Wildman a shout and see what can be done as far as a chip for it. Wonder if a modded IDM would be of any benefit?

I don't think IH squished the exhaust like Ford did so it shouldn't be a restriction point like on the PSD's.

John

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they already have a huge exhaust,huge intake.the IDM and PCM are one unit bolted to the passengers side valve cover.you might be able to do the 10K mod on it though.could run dual HPOPs on it.could get bigger injectors but youre not gonna benefit from them without a chip or haveing the PCM reprogrammed.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
What exactly is the 10k Mod? Also there is another thread I started about a plug in box that is for sale on ebay. As usual opinions greatly appreciated.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10K mod.

It is a resistor placed inline to weaken the signal from the ICP to fool the PCM into believing the injection pressure is low, so therefore the PCM kicks the injection pressure up a notch. Dyno sheets have proven on some trucks (Ford PSD's) gains as high as 25 hp and 50 ft lbs torque. Yup, just a 13 cent mod.

Rich, do you know if Tony has ever fooled with an IH PCM before?

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
So that is basicly what the $469.00 box for sale is on ebay. That is in another thread. I found a site with instructions on how to make the 10k thanks to neverenufhp for taking the time to create a site that is extremely useful.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
The problem with the 10k mod is it can make your idle extremely rough, some Ford PSD's show gains and others don't. Alot depends on the PCM code, on my '95 with the TEE5 code it made a difference but wasn't worth the rough idle, so I put it on a switch and could turn it on and off.

The TS module takes into account other sensors and parameters and does not just "fool" the PCM into thinking the injector pressure is low.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
How does it take into acct other sensors if it plugs in to the icp harness? I wish I could pull the ECM off of my PSD and all problems would solved.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
How does it take into acct other sensors if it plugs in to the icp harness? I wish I could pull the ECM off of my PSD and all problems would solved.

Nevermind I found what you were talking about on e-bay...that's the 10k mod not the TS MP-8 module. $469.00 for that????:***:

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with the 10k mod is it can make your idle extremely rough, some Ford PSD's show gains and others don't. Alot depends on the PCM code, on my '95 with the TEE5 code it made a difference but wasn't worth the rough idle, so I put it on a switch and could turn it on and off.

The TS module takes into account other sensors and parameters and does not just "fool" the PCM into thinking the injector pressure is low.

my 95 has the TEE5 code PCM.i did the 10K and didnt feel a thing different with it.now i gotta chip with wildman programs :D :D ;Sweet