Proper way to start 92 7.3 IDI Motor

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat gun can help, if your having hard starts due to fuel leaks/air intrustion it helps bleed the system to floor it when it cranks...

Back when I had bad air intrusion I'd floor it till I saw diesel out the tail pipe:puke:. By then i knew it was bled enough to start, but still had some air in it. She'd start rough and a little throttle smoothed it out

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You d floor it after she started, and that would make next start easier? Does sure intrusion affect normal operation if the truck to, or just starting?

octopus

Reaction score
lately my procedure for starting my 93 has been

face truck south, walk counterclockwise around truck, call tim tebow for help from above, pet the dash, cross fingers and hope it fires up before the batteries die.

straight from the ford manual:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You d floor it after she started, and that would make next start easier? Does sure intrusion affect normal operation if the truck to, or just starting?

I have manual glow plugs. I floor it (no glow) till it 'purges'. Then glow and give it half throttle or so. Sometimes full. Once it starts just a little to smooth it out as the engine runs rough for a few moments working out the air. It runs the same otherwise. Some people stall after first start but mine didn't, it just ran rough for a little while

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a high idle solenoid on my truck. I recently acquired a spare, so hopefully it works. My procedure for starting in the morning is: freezing or above, half throttle while cranking, below freezing, 3/4 throttle while cranking. Once the truck starts, I back off the throttle until my oil pressure builds, then I idle it from 1200-1500RPM until the temp gauge starts to move, then I gently take off. After oil pressure builds and I manually idle the truck, instantly the white smoke goes away. It stays gone after the cylinders are warm at idle. The truck always starts on the first crank after about 3-4 seconds, maybe 5-6 if it is really cold out.

octopus

Reaction score
so you can't flood a diesel. good to know only because i've been having some issues with my 2010 vw tdi. car wouldn't start, service guys at dealership try to tell me its flooding.

just trying to learn my way around diesels

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have manual glow plugs. I floor it (no glow) till it 'purges'. Then glow and give it half throttle or so. Sometimes full. Once it starts just a little to smooth it out as the engine runs rough for a few moments working out the air. It runs the same otherwise. Some people stall after first start but mine didn't, it just ran rough for a little while

I dont think i quite understand, are you saying you crank without waiting for wts while flooring then turn key back let plugs cycle then crank with half throttle?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a high idle solenoid on my truck. I recently acquired a spare, so hopefully it works. My procedure for starting in the morning is: freezing or above, half throttle while cranking, below freezing, 3/4 throttle while cranking. Once the truck starts, I back off the throttle until my oil pressure builds, then I idle it from 1200-1500RPM until the temp gauge starts to move, then I gently take off. After oil pressure builds and I manually idle the truck, instantly the white smoke goes away. It stays gone after the cylinders are warm at idle. The truck always starts on the first crank after about 3-4 seconds, maybe 5-6 if it is really cold out.

hmm how long does your oil pressure take to build? my oil pressure guage is pretty dumb and i usually have to give the dash a nice'tap' for it to move. Mine doesnt really blow white... occasionally after start up it blows white or blue

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score

WOW, 1500 rpms is a lot of revs for a cold diesel. Hell, I try to keep my revs that low going down the highway fully warmed up

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
My 92 F450, 7.3, has a non functioning fast idle. What exactly tells it to activate?

Is it tied to engine temp sensor? How and where?

It has its own temp sensor (one of three on these engines) its just toward the passenger side of the (front) of the IP

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
I dont think i quite understand, are you saying you crank without waiting for wts while flooring then turn key back let plugs cycle then crank with half throttle?

He does not have a WTS light, push button glow plugs, he cranks a little knowing it wont start, then glows the plugs by hitting a push button, probably about 10 seconds, then cranks to start.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm how long does your oil pressure take to build? my oil pressure guage is pretty dumb and i usually have to give the dash a nice'tap' for it to move. Mine doesnt really blow white... occasionally after start up it blows white or blue

My gauge only takes a few seconds to get to its normal reading. I always keep the RPMs under 1500 and my tach is about 200 RPM too high. I verified this with my timing meter. I might need a new tach pickup but I'm not overly worried about it right now.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these really this hard to start? I did my fual system upgrade with new hoses adn seals during warm weather adn fixed the glow plug system and mine fired right up at 20 degrees today. maybe I am just having good luck?